Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

Strange Graphics Card problem

As some of you may recall I had problems I getting FS2004 to run on the 64 bit Windows 7 system I "upgraded" to last fall (including but not limited to having a previously selected menu option appear when going to select another or switching exterior/enterior views).

Recently I discovered that there are motherboards still available (Z77 boards) that support Windows XP so I got one (MSI Z77A-G43 Gaming) and an Intel i3-3240 3.4 ghz cpu to go with it.  Yeah, I know Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP April 8th (I couldn't care less, aside from one single time, I never needed support from Microsoft anyway but I digress...)

I've encountered a strange problem with Flight Simulator (FS98, FS2002 and FS2004. Haven't reinstalled FSX yet).  With S98 I have to turn off hardware acceleration if I want to run it in full screen mode otherwise the exterior view goes nuts on me.  I have to check the Transform and Lightening box on the Display/Hardware screen or I get the same thing with the exterior views (what is "Transform and Lightening).  This problem doesn't arise in FS2004 whether the T & L box is checked or not.

Another problem (this is where the "strange" aspect comes in) I've encountered in both FS2002 and FS2004 is that a half dozen aircraft have exterior parts showing up either much brighter than the rest of the plane's exterior.  For example, the pilot's door on the default Cessna 172SP and Cessna 182S is brigther than the rest of the plane (on the pilot's side).  Oj PMDG's B1900C/D its the cargo door.  On the PMDG 737s with stairs in FS2004 its the small door that covers the ladder opening.  The worst example is a freeware DH6 short nose where the engine access door, the pilot's door, the passenger door, the luggage/cargo door AND the rudder exhibit the same brightening (or alternatively, these are the a/c's correct appearance with the rest of the pilot's side of the plane being too dard.  3 or 4 other planes also exhibit this problem in degrees greater than the Cessnas but less than the DH6 short nose/sea otter/Vistaliner.

The question is what is causing this problem and what is the best way to fix it.  I'm pretty sure, too, that this problem existed with my Windows 7 system.  I'm convinced that the problem is related to the graphics card I had on the Windows 7 system and am using in the "new" XP system (a EVGA GTX 650 w/1mb ram).  Is there a way to eliminate the problem while continuing to use this graphics card or do I need to replace it (and, if so, with what)?

Incidentally, none of my non-FS games are exhibiting this problem in any way.  BTW, for those who might be interested, the frame rate was only slightly affected by "downgrading" back to a Windows XP system (from the mid-80s to the mid-60s, still a VAST improvement over the single digit frame rate I was getting on my old single core cpu XP system..

As always, any help resolving this problem would be greatly appreicated!

Tom or Jeff:

Please move this topic to the monitor, graphics card forum.  Should have posted there in the first place!  Thanks....

Other people are having the same problem.  I have not seen a solution, although it is suggested to regress to NVidia drivers earlier than 320 (314.?? was a common suggestion).  I have not seen any results though.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/439232-fs2004-and-nvidia-gtx-760780/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/409240-new-32018-nvidia-driver-toxic-to-fs9/

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?277209-Help-door-texture-error-default-C172SP

Ok, that sounds likely.  I hadn't considered that the driver might be the cause of the problem.  My current (for the moment) driver is 335.28.  Just downloaded the 314.22 driver from the nVidia website.  If it does indeed correct the problem (or even if it doesn't) I'll post the news here...Thanks, Tom!

Scott Miller

Reverting to the 3/.4.22 driver did indeed correct the problem, Tom.  But only in FS2002 and 2004.  Still have to run FS98 either with hardware acceleration turned off in 640x480x8 low res full screen mode or windowed mode for 800x600x16 high res mode with the H.A. on...at least it runs now though.  It didn't under Windows 7...

Another problem with FS2002 is that some of the skyscrapers in the Chicago skyline have black bands on them that move as one's prespective moves.  This may be a pre-existing condition with FS2002 though.  I just never noticed it before (though you'd think I would have if this were the case)...The only reason I keep FS2002 around really is to fly Dreamfleet's 737-400 (my all time favorite FS aircraft addon).  I'm too lazy to mess with the FS2004 merge!  Anyway, I can live with the black bands issue if need be...