Sign in to follow this  
do_denver2

680 FTW OC 4GB to 780TI Superclocked?

My GTX 680 just sold for my full asking price so I just upgraded to the 780TISuperclocked.  I'll have no video card for about a week until the new one arrives, so I have plenty of time to speculate on what the performance difference will be.  I run on only 1 42 inch TV, and I have a small side monitor for GPS, ATC and such.  

My hypothesis is that it won't be much of a gain, at least when I need it most.  With full ORBX add ons, My Traffic, nice addon aircraft etc.... the 680 did pretty well except it heavy urban areas, where FPS could drop into the low teens in some cases.  However, my GPU usage was only around 50% or so.  In most other cases performance was fine, even in bad weather when the GPU usage was up near 100%. In fact, the more the GPU was being used the higher the FPS.  Therefore, I'm anticipating getting even better FPS in situations where FPS was already ok, and virtually no performance increase in heavy urban areas where it seems that the CPU is bottle-necked (3770K 4.7ghz).  

Any comments?  Will I immediately want to SLI the 780, and will that make a difference even in the most CPU demanding situations?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes, suggest you now put the car on eBay and order a second GPU. :rolleyes:  SLI is a big performance boost and we are assured LM is working hard to make it even better.

Yes, SLI will make a big difference. I am running two 680 classified in SLI.

Yes but please answer the question.  WHEN does it make the most difference?