Sign in to follow this  
Lashrathius

Solid cloud tweak

My apologies if this has been posted already; I did my best to search but nothing significant popped up.

Does anyone know how to tweak FSX so it shows solid clouds?

E.g. if I fly into a cumulous cloud, it will disappear once I'm in it and reappear when it is behind me. I'm looking for a tweak so if I'm in the cloud, I actually see that I'm flying through white precipitation drops, hence the name "solid" clouds.

Hank

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

It's usually during takeoff that I notice it. When I fly in-real-life, on a day with moderate rain and fully overcast, I would see nothing but dense cloud particles and raindrops zooming by the windshield and side windows. However, in FSX, I see half a second of white and the whole cloud just disappears.

My textures are REX 4 and I'm using the default FSX weather engine to render the overcast to test.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

ActiveSky Next from HiFi Sim simulates solid clouds very well. Most of my flying lately and over the winter was around Portland, OR and Seattle, WA and when the clouds were solid and precipitation was falling, I would frequently see what you're looking for and just to be clear, if the clouds were 2,000 feet deep, it would take me to climb through 2,000 feet to get through them.

Here's an example of flying through a solid layer minus the precipitation:

20131224_052-0.jpg?rev=0

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8

Try 10 or even 12.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

My current density is at 12, but that's just rendering the amount of clouds. If I fly into them, a hole appears and the cloud is gone.

I will try Active Sky Next. I had the demo a while back but might as well purchase it now. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

An example of what I'm seeing is reflected in this YouTube video by another user at 13:08.

As you can see - when the winglet touches the cloud, the cloud is gone. I'm looking for it to stay, but just show white as the winglet passes.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

ActiveSky Next!! That's the only weather app that I'm aware of that will give you what you are looking for. Outside of that, that's how FSX natively works with visibility in clouds.

ActiveSky Next!! That's the only weather app that I'm aware of that will give you what you are looking for. Outside of that, that's how FSX natively works with visibility in clouds.

Bought it, loving it! Finally... dense clouds to fly through. Thanks Mike! Marked as correct answer.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

Bought it, loving it! Finally... dense clouds to fly through. Thanks Mike! Marked as correct answer.

WooHoo!! Welcome to the club. Glad to see you're seeing what you've been looking for finally. If you have any questions on ASN settings, let me know.

All the best,

M