Sign in to follow this  
tiagoblanquet

LevelD 767 Nav radios problem?

Hi.

Just having this strange issue with levelD 767 on FSX. When approaching this mad airport VQPR, i was trying to get it as a waypoint in my route, but i was geting this message "not found". (guess my database for the FMC is REALLY outdated) But anyhow, i just entered the frequency manualy on NAV1 and switched to VOR on the HSI, but no signal! 

NAV1 is working. i can tune other VOR stations and get signal and Distance from DME. Only this PRO 108.40 is not working on LEVELD. After landing, i then load another generic FSX plane, tune in 108.40 and the thing is working normaly. Also PMDG Jetstream can get the VOR no problem.

Does it need to have the VOR in the FMC database for it to be able to tune in? Because other VORs in the database, tune in manualy no problem.

By entering the freq manualy i should be able to get the signal, with or without it being on the LevelD FMC database.

Any thoughts?

Just having this strange issue with levelD 767 on FSX. When approaching this mad airport VQPR, i was trying to get it as a waypoint in my route, but i was geting this message "not found". (guess my database for the FMC is REALLY outdated) But anyhow, i just entered the frequency manualy on NAV1 and switched to VOR on the HSI, but no signal!

Hi, tiagoblanquet,

In the Level-D 767 you need to tune the ILS frequency and course in a separate place, on the lower center pedestal.  It may have already been autotuned there, if you selected the runway in the FMC Approach window under DEP/ARR. 

I don't understand why you are trying to enter the destination airport as a waypoint.  It should have been entered in the destination blank when you set up your flight plan.  If it is your destination, the runways and approach procedures should be showing up in the Approach window.

You might benefit from doing their tutorial flights.

Hope this helps!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I think there was a bug that caused the freq. to jump when changing the EHSI mode from MAP to VOR.

Do the following and in this same order:

- Set your EHSI to VOR mode

- Select MANUAL on the NAV1 receiver which is on the glareshield

- Tune the VOR

Should work fine. If the VOR is there (check on the FSX map) and other planes recognize it, then it should work on the Level-D 767. This has nothing to do with your FMC database.

The fact that the FMC can't find the airport, can indeed be a database problem. You can use an airport as a fix, it's quite odd and I don't think of a situation in which you would do it, but it can be done. Entering the ICAO identifier onto the LEGS page should work.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I just loaded one of the Level-D tutorial flights, an approach, and it wouldn't allow me to tune the ILS frequency in the VOR 1 window (set to Manual).  It would allow other frequencies.  But the ILS was tuned in the special ILS window on the lower center pedestal.  As Jaimie said, you should be able to tune the ILS frequency whether or not it is in the FMC database.

One other thing to keep in mind is that the frequency of a particular runway's ILS may be different on your system from the one in the database.  This can happen if the ILS frequency has changed recently.  If you have default scenery and a new database, the database will be accurate but the scenery won't be.  If you have new scenery but an old database, the same problem could arise.

Mike

PS- I think there are rules about which frequencies are possible ILS frequencies and which are not.  I think that in the Level-D VOR 1 won't allow you to tune an ILS frequency and the ILS tuner won't allow you to tune a non-ILS frequency.  The ILS tuner doesn't allow 112.3, the Canarsie VOR frequency -- it won't go up to 112.   But I don't have time to check right now.

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Mike, as you say, the ILS goes on the ILS tuner which is on the center pedestal. However, the OP never said anything about an ILS problem as I understood it. He's struggling to tune a VOR.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Mike, as you say, the ILS goes on the ILS tuner which is on the center pedestal. However, the OP never said anything about an ILS problem as I understood it. He's struggling to tune a VOR.

Yes, mea culpa, I just realized he wasn't talking about the ILS.  I thought 108.4 was in the ILS range, but it is the PRO VOR.  However I just set down a Level-D at VQPR, and  I can manually tune 108.4 just fine.  My database, which is pretty recent, does recognize it as PRO.  But as you said, not having it in the DB shouldn't be a problem.  So I'm a bit stumped.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

First i have to apologise i was indeed trying to enter PRO on the FMS not VQPR as a waypoint. I know how to operate the fms fine?

As i suspected it seems you cannot tune in a vor frequency that isn't on your fms database. To test this i just updated airac to a recent one and now i can indeed enter PRO on the FMS, and if by magic it now also tunes it on the VOR NAV1 as any other plane. 

Its not a big deal but this realy should not work like this in real life lol. The database in the FMS should be one thing, independent of tuning a beacon on a VOR reciever.

You should give it a try. Hehe. Try and find some remotely located VOR not included in your fms database and then place the plane wiithin range and try and tune that beacon on NAV1, if im right you should get nothing.

You should give it a try. Hehe. Try and find some remotely located VOR not included in your fms database and then place the plane wiithin range and try and tune that beacon on NAV1, if im right you should get nothing.

Hi, tiagoblanquet,

You are quite right!  I just deleted the line for the PRO VOR in the WPNAVAID.txt file for Level-D and now I can manually tune 108.400 (sitting at VQPR) but it does not pick up the VOR at all.  Of course I would not expect it to recognize that it is PRO, but I did expect it to show a VOR/DME  nearby on that frequency.

Sorry I misread your post earlier!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

No problem. I was just surprised since i fly the leveld for some years now siince fs9 and never came across this. Better to keep the database up to date, lol.

As you said, by tuning the beacon manually we should at least get a direction and a dme distance on the VOR display. 

B)

As you said, by tuning the beacon manually we should at least get a direction and a dme distance on the VOR display.

Maybe there's some RW provision to prevent the radio from tuning an unknown radio source that might seem to be a VOR but is really something else.  Don't know what that "something else" would be though.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2