Sign in to follow this  
ericmay

FSX freezes temporarily on splash screen

Hello, every time I start FSX and choose an aircraft, or weather theme, or airport etc., when I go to choose the second item,

FSX freezes and the hard drive stays lit for about 3 minutes. Then everything returns to normal and I can continue to

load FSX. I have FSX on an SSD, though I had the same problem with a SATA drive.  I have megascenery on a

second drive.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled FSX, and made a number of different changes to fsx.cfg but no luck.

Thanks for your expertise,

eric 

FSX freezes and the hard drive stays lit for about 3 minutes.

I have mentioned this problem several times in this forum. Photoscenery will load no matter whether you will be using it or not. If you have photoscenery in Europe and you are flying in the USA, the photoscenery in Europe will load too. I discovered this last year after installing almost every MSE V2 photoscenery for the USA. For me, my system froze up for at least 20 minutes before an aircraft would show up in the splash screen, another 20 minutes trying to change the location of the flight, and 20 minutes to load the flight. It either froze or there was a black screen. Ugly stuff... I then downloaded the utility, Scenery Config Editor and disabled all of my photoscenery except the scenery I would be using for this particular flightplan. I also went into the FTX Central and changed the mode to the default as Orbx/FTX scenery is mostly photoscenery too (do not try to disable any FTX scenery in the Scenery Library!!). So here's what it says in the AVSIM CTD Guide located to the right of this forum under Hot Spots:

Install Scenery Configuration Editor – Download and install the Scenery Config Editor tool. You can use this tool to install or remove your add-on scenery. It will look for any errors in your scenery.cfg and fix them. You can rearrange the order of the scenery instead of moving scenery up or down in the Scenery Library. Most importantly, you can use this tool to disable all of your FSX/FS9 add-on scenery and enable only the scenery you will be using during a flight plan. This will reduce your chances of running out of memory because you ran out of Virtual Address Space (VAS) (see explanation of VAS in the Known/Probable Causes of CTD’s section).

You can download the SceneryConfigEditor from this link - http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/ .

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you soooo much.  My splash screen delays and scenery loading times have been getting worse and worse as I have installed more and more megascenery but I never connected the two.  I purchased a 480GB SSD for FSX and used

a separate 2TB drive for the scenery, thinking that would speed things up.  As things got worse I assumed I just had to defrag the scenery drive.  At any rate, now that I have installed and used the the Scenery

Config editor, all my issues have been solved.  I can't believe how fast everything loads up, and I have no delays at the splash screen either.  Thanks again,

Eric

I can't believe how fast everything loads up, and I have no delays at the splash screen either. Thanks again,

You sound as elated as I was when I discovered all the MegaScenery was causing the problems. I have seen other long load times even with almost all of the MegaScenery disabled and I found it was my Internet Explorer (I have several websites loaded at a time using the Tabs feature). I had shutdown Internet Explorer before starting FSX but, when I went to the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del), and looked under Processes, all of the Tabs were still loaded and running. I would shutdown one of them and all of them would close and FSX would load fast once again. Not sure why Internet Explorer is not closing down properly but suspect it is one of the websites under one of the Tabs that is not shutting down properly and causing the others to stay open too. Just wanted to give you a heads-up though in case you see any other delays in loading.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10