Sign in to follow this  
Guest tcable

Something You Never Knew You Had

Hello all. In the most recent issue of Flying Mag there is an extensive article on the Gulfstream 450. Hopefully an add-on with the full glass panel will show up someday.In describing the panel and its huge MFD/PFD displays the article describes how pilots navigate between and within screens.Guess what they use? It's called a CCD and you all have one! CCD means Cursur Control Device and that, of course, means a MOUSE (in effect).So now we can all stop feeling a loss of immersion when we have to use mouse clicks to access certain functions.Don't you feel better now?(:JimPS: The same issue carried a very glowing review of FS9 as a flight training tool and it was written by a former FlightSafety sim instructor!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Jim, Is it like a mousepad like a laptop uses? If so, the Embraer 170 has them also.

I thought it was a "ball" type roller that you used to navigate the screens....

<>I think it is. The article didn't describe the exact device..but there are PC "mice" that are rollerball type devices too.It doesn't matter what kind of Cursor Control Device it is...a mouse is a mouse...but my point was that RW avionics are migrating toward the PC sim world of computer displays and away from analog guages, buttons and switches.Regards,Jim

The 777 pioneered this with their electronic checklists.It's a touchpad on the 777.