Sign in to follow this  
HLJames

Western Isles

High resolution photoscenery will not run on a 7200rpm HDD and the massive file sizes rule out SSDs. This is why you don't see many simmers useing photoscenery.

I think you are underestimating just how many people use photoscenery. If "not many people" used it, then there would not be a market for it. Oh, and high resolution photoscenery runs perfectly well on a 7200rpm HDD.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

think you are underestimating just how many people use photoscenery. If "not many people" used it, then there would not be a market for it. Oh, and high resolution photoscenery runs perfectly well on a 7200rpm HDD.

For me one caviar black was not acceptable....blurries. Two 1TB caviar blacks RAID0 measured at 160 mb/sec avg would store all 48 states with no blurries.

HLJAMES

I guess it all depends how fast you are flying. I tend to amble around at barely more than landing speed, so I have an advantage in that department :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Having photo scenery on another separate drive than your FSX and OS is better than having in either one of them simply because it creates a bottleneck when FSX run's then read's photo scenery, it creates file queues.

I have my setup as follow:

C: Win8, REX4: SSD 128

D: FSX - ORBX: SSD 512

E: DVD drive

F: All my datas like downloads, images docs...

internal HDD 1Tb

G: PhotoScenery: Ext USB 3.0

@HJAMES, raid0 with 2TB in total should be really fine with these 10000RPM velociraptor. 

I've seen that 1TB SSD is now affordable and cost as much as 2x1TB velo.

So for enthusiasm simmers best might be SSD 1TB but still should know the size of photoscenery you are going to put in, if it's over than 1TB I suppose that HDD like yours will be best solution actually.

I want to clarify here that photo scenery is a must have and like someone stated above that it's not all simmers that go photo scenery is wrong.

A lot of members here fly's PMDG, Airbus, airliners, jets and military jet fighters like the F14, F16, F22, F35... flying over Nevada, California... you can't get rid of these scenery. 

The screenshots of OP is so wonderful that the GA plane is not really at his place there (regarding to altitude, max altitude should be 10000 feet unpressurized cabin) but if it was a Boeing, jet fighter, Airbus rather than the BN2 islander, it will look more realistic.

You are going to need a couple more 1TB SSDs for England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, France, Switzerland and Austria.

HLJAMES