Sign in to follow this  
ads2006

Glide before LOC

Dear friends,

I'd like to know if we necessarily need to capture LOC before Glide in APP mode in B737 ? This is the default setting in PMDG.

I think Glide antenna spread its signal in a large area so even without LOC captured it would make sense to capture Glide because in my understanding capturing Glide below path is safer.

Am I right ? Thanka in advance for any help coming.

Adenilson

necessarily need to capture LOC before Glide in APP mode in B737

If the setting in the PMDG Options/Equipment menu is selected to DENY, then the localizer has to be captures and tracked before the glideslope can be captured. If the option is set to allow, then either the glideslope or locailzer will be captured first.

even without LOC captured it would make sense to capture Glide because in my understanding capturing Glide below path is safer.

If you're in a mountainous area, I think you would want to be on the localizer before your track the glideslope to ensure you're where you need to be. But yes, you should aim to capture the glideslope from below.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Kenny,

Thanks. Yes I know how to change this setting thru FMC/CDU. Just want to know if real pilots even use Glide capture before LOC capture ?

Adenilson

Kenny,

Thanks. Yes I know how to change this setting thru FMC/CDU. Just want to know if real pilots even use Glide capture before LOC capture ?

Adenilson

I've flown in Asia and the US with 3 airlines and it's always been first LOC and then G/S.

Matt Cee

Kenny,

Adenilson

It's not a pilot controlled option in the real airplane - it's either set that way or not in the airline's AFDS software. I've never personally heard of an airline that allows it - you always want to be established on the localizer before you start descending, that way you're guaranteed terrain clearance.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks team,

We have an airport in Brazil (SBRJ or SDU) that is sorrounded by sea. It have LOC in 20L but all pilots make circle approach at 900 feet altitude. LOC is not used and landing is visual and pilot controlled without A/P.

Complementing. This is a short runway with 1400 meters only. Just captain is authorized by airlines to land (not first officer or co-pilot).