Sign in to follow this  
swadeep

Minor PC Upgrade Recommendation

Hi Guys. I have some questions regarding upgrading my CPU and possibly motherboard and GFX card so I would appreciate your suggestions please. Anyway let me give you my details first:

FSX PC

Intel Core i7 3770K Ivy Bridge overclocked to 4.5Ghz

Asus P8Z77 V-PRO

GTX 680 Superclocked edition

SSD running windows files only and another drive dedicated to FSX only

RAM about 8-12GB if i remember correctly.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Another PC (All other networked add-ons and other games and general use). Been using this for many years and looking to upgrade the part in RED. 

Intel Core i7 920 at stock speed (2.67ghz)

Gigabyte EX58-UD5

6GB RAM

GTX 660 ( i think this is still good for general games and day to day use )

Windows 8.1 Pro

Anyway I am planning to maybe bring the processor from my FSX PC and put it in the general PC. Buy new motherboard (any suggestion?) and buy new rams (brand and size recommendation?). Then I just buy a newer processor for the FSX PC (need recommendation too please). Wouldn't mind buying new gfx card too for fsx pc if it helps improve performance and put the original one in the old general pc. Would this be a good idea? Any suggestions?

Hope to get some assistance.

Thanks

Swadeep

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Put the 3770k and motherboard and ram into the other PC.  Then buy a new Z97 motherboard, i7 4770k or 4790k cpu and some fast 2400+ Ram for the FSX machine.  The graphics cards are fine

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Put the 3770k and motherboard and ram into the other PC. Then buy a new Z97 motherboard, i7 4770k or 4790k cpu and some fast 2400+ Ram for the FSX machine. The graphics cards are fine

Thanks for reply. What RAM brand would you suggest and how many GB ram? As for processor which would you go for between those 2 and what's different between this and some haswell processor. Not sure really if I got it right? What's it really? Would appreciate input.

Thanks

Swadeep

8GB is generally deemed to be more than enough for FSX.  Brand?  Take your pick, I use Teemgroup, but Corsair, Kingston, Crucial, Patriot, Mushkin etc all more than good enough.  Try and get 2400mhz stuff, with the lowest CAS etc you can get.

4770k is Haswell, and the 4790k is the newer Haswell.  Which would I go for? Depends how soon you are buying.  The 4790k doesn't seem to have hit the shelves yet, and initial overclocking reports have been disappointing.  That's your decision Im afraid.

Motherboard wise, choose your preferred brand, they're mostly of a muchness, bar the really expensive ones.  Some people like Asus, myself I prefer Gigabyte boards, and have used them for years.

Where are you from, can't find any location on your profile?

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

8GB is generally deemed to be more than enough for FSX. Brand? Take your pick, I use Teemgroup, but Corsair, Kingston, Crucial, Patriot, Mushkin etc all more than good enough. Try and get 2400mhz stuff, with the lowest CAS etc you can get.

4770k is Haswell, and the 4790k is the newer Haswell. Which would I go for? Depends how soon you are buying. The 4790k doesn't seem to have hit the shelves yet, and initial overclocking reports have been disappointing. That's your decision Im afraid.

Motherboard wise, choose your preferred brand, they're mostly of a muchness, bar the really expensive ones. Some people like Asus, myself I prefer Gigabyte boards, and have used them for years.

Where are you from, can't find any location on your profile?

Cheers for the reply. I am from Bangkok, Thailand. Ok I'll have a look. One 8GB ram is good or two 4GB rams etc? What's the difference here? I might just go for the 4770K then. will probably be cheaper also. I like the z77 that I am using which is asus so will probably buy that brand for new mobo. Nice interface and easy to clock too probably.

Thanks

Swadeep

No worries, and yes you want a matched pair of 2x4gb sticks.

Don't forget you'll want a good CPU cooler too

UKV6427

No worries, and yes you want a matched pair of 2x4gb sticks.

Don't forget you'll want a good CPU cooler too

Thanks a lot. Few questions please.

I've looked at the two processors on intel website. The main difference is only 3.5Ghz vs 4Ghz. Maybe I'll just go for 4790K. What oc speed do you think i can get it to?

I have cooler already which is Corsair but i can't remember exactly which model. H60, H80 or H100 haha. Is there anyway i can find out from PC without having to open the case? And are these enough?

There are many Asus Z79 models. Which do you recommend?

Thanks

Swadeep

What oc speed do you think i can get it to?

Impossible to say, all CPU's vary. All "should" achieve 4.2Ghz. In fact with Asus boards you can simply flip the TPU switch on the motherboard for an easy and stable 4.2. Above that will depend on the silicone lottery, and your overclocking knowledge. I would be surprised if you can't achieve 4.4 with a decent cooler.

I have cooler already which is Corsair but i can't remember exactly which model. H60, H80 or H100 haha. Is there anyway i can find out from PC without having to open the case? And are these enough?

Don't just ask! Be brave and open your case, it won't bite, it's just a box. Find out your model of cooler. Then look at the cooler reviews on the internet and make your own mind up. There are tons of cooler reviews with coolers all compared.

Then consider other things, like will it fit in my case, will there be any RAM clearance issues.

There are many Asus Z79 models. Which do you recommend?

Don't just ask! look at the motherboard reviews on the internet. look at the Asus website and compare the features. Look at Youtube reviews of the motherboard you like the look of.

There's an absolute pile of information on the internet to tell you everything you need to know.

Impossible to say, all CPU's vary. All "should" achieve 4.2Ghz. In fact with Asus boards you can simply flip the TPU switch on the motherboard for an easy and stable 4.2. Above that will depend on the silicone lottery, and your overclocking knowledge. I would be surprised if you can't achieve 4.4 with a decent cooler.

Don't just ask! Be brave and open your case, it won't bite, it's just a box. Find out your model of cooler. Then look at the cooler reviews on the internet and make your own mind up. There are tons of cooler reviews with coolers all compared.

Then consider other things, like will it fit in my case, will there be any RAM clearance issues.

Don't just ask! look at the motherboard reviews on the internet. look at the Asus website and compare the features. Look at Youtube reviews of the motherboard you like the look of.

There's an absolute pile of information on the internet to tell you everything you need to know.

DONT JUST ASSUME! Lol

Yes obviously I am doing my own research also! But is it wrong to get an opinion here also? I just want to compare the suggestions here and reviews that I find. That's all. If it's too much trouble for you to help then you didn't need to even come and waste time typing "DONT JUST ASK"

Not being rude but just saying what I feel.

Thanks anyway

Swadeep

Not being rude but just saying what I feel.

You overreacted.

When somebody makes it clear that they are not prepared to take a few minutes to remove the side panel on their enclosures and simply look, and prefers to take even longer [days] asking for advice regarding other means to find out, it encourages me to advocate personal effort.

If that effort has been expended by you, and there is indeed a reasonable explanation for your disinclination to remove a side panel... fair enough.

If it's too much trouble for you to help then you didn't need to even come and waste time typing "DONT JUST ASK"

If you do a search and look at my posts, you will see that I expand a considerable amount of effort helping others. So too much trouble is clerarly not the case.

What is the case, is that I encourage effort from those asking the questions. If you don't require such encouragement, then that's awesome, and I will continue to give you all the assistance you need.

But is it wrong to get an opinion here also?

No, it's not. However, be aware... if you ask us which cooler we recommend, you will get numerous replies all advocating a different cooler they are fans of. Same for motherboards, some will say Asus, some Gigabyte, some will advocate motherboards famed for their overclocability, some will advocate motherboards with features you don't need etc, etc. Hence, why the best approach is to look at the reviews and decide for yourself.

You overreacted.

When somebody makes it clear that they are not prepared to take a few minutes to remove the side panel on their enclosures and simply look, and prefers to take even longer [days] asking for advice regarding other means to find out, it encourages me to advocate personal effort.

If that effort has been expended by you, and there is indeed a reasonable explanation for your disinclination to remove a side panel... fair enough.

If you do a search and look at my posts, you will see that I expand a considerable amount of effort helping others. So too much trouble is clerarly not the case.

What is the case, is that I encourage effort from those asking the questions. If you don't require such encouragement, then that's awesome, and I will continue to give you all the assistance you need.

No, it's not. However, be aware... if you ask us which cooler we recommend, you will get numerous replies all advocating a different cooler they are fans of. Same for motherboards, some will say Asus, some Gigabyte, some will advocate motherboards famed for their overclocability, some will advocate motherboards with features you don't need etc, etc. Hence, why the best approach is to look at the reviews and decide for yourself.

Hi. First of all I apologize if i over-reacted. My bad. Hope no hard feelings.

1. I know opening case was easier and i am comfortable doing that but i may have phrased the question wrong also. I wanted to know also if there are ways of knowing from a software like CPU-Z where we can see our PC details. That's all. Otherwise i do know it's really easy and faster to check yourself.

2. I do get your point about the encouragement. It's a fair and reasonable point. I have started my own search also obviously. Maybe i'll come back with fewer less models that i have selected myself to get a final suggestion to see if it's along my thinking too.

3. I do get your point that people have different opinions so it's best to decide yourself. I just wanted to see first that's all what's the general suggestion. I had it in my mind already of what i wanted. I wasn't asking about cooler also as i wasn't planning to buy one. It may seem like i was asking for suggestion between those 3 models listed but it's not. My bad there if i put it wrong.

Anyway i do get your point. Perhaps by next week when i know for sure what i want to buy I'll come back here and just request for one final say if one or few of you think it's good (while using it as a guideline only) and i'll decide myself obviously. Apologies again if i cam out as the rude one instead and overreacted.

Cheers for explanations

Thanks

Swadeep

No probs. :smile:

Hi Martin. I have managed to grab hold of i7 4790K! Anyway I will get it and here's what i am going to buy. I have done the research (but i am not that good and may not know something you do) so could you have a look and give me your opinion please or suggest anything else. Would appreciate it.

So for the new FSX pc i'll buy:

i7 4790k

RAM - Team xtreem 8GB (4 * 2) 2400

Mainboard -  I'm thinking ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER 

Mainboard - I can't really decide between these so would really value your opinion:

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO

ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1

ASUS Z97-DELUXE

Or there is ASROCK too which I've read is good too. Can't really decide without getting opinions from here also.

Any other inputs from anyone would be appreciated too. Planning to purchase in the next 24 hours. Tomorrow.

Thank You

Swadeep

i7 4790k To be honest if I were building now, I would definatly consider this CPU. Better interface material and turbo up to 4.4 Ghz. You may find you don't need to overclock, just rely on turbo. Not sure how they are overclocking, but even at 4.4 I'd be happy, given that a few hundred megahertz makes very little difference in terms of frame rate.

You will have to look at the overclocking results on the net to know how far they are getting in practice.

I have no experience of your RAM make, but 2400 is nice and fast. What timings?

I always favour Asus motherboards personally, have no experience of ASRock.

ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE is a micro ATX board. I would go for full size ATX to be honest.

The Sabertooth is a board that's built for reliability and cooling, so If you don't want the ROG features provided by the hero [you probably don't need them] then it's a great choice. Thermal armour is great, and thermal radar is a great way to monitor your temps. And I recall a seven year warranty.

Personally. I would say you would be happy with the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1 or the ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO.

But you must look at the reviews of these boards and make sure there are no issues like UEFI instabilities or glitches present. If all looks good, pick the board that has the features you need. No point wasting money on features you don't need.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6345/asus-sabertooth-z97-mark-1-intel-z97-motherboard-review/index9.html

I don't know much about the ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER, but it is an entry level ROG board, so won't be as feature rich as the Hero.