Hi,

I am sorry for yet another "what gpu" question.

In my up comming new FSX rig based on the z97 + 4790k, I am split with my self if I need a gtx780 with 3 or 6gb RAM. I run DX10 with lots of SGSS in Inspector, and I use HD Rex clouds.

I also plan to use a 2560x1600 screen, but only one - I'm not into the multi screen experimenting. Like to keep it simple.

So maybe I even need a Titan or 780ti?

Opinions would be appreciated..

Best regards

Anders

For FSX a graphics card with 3 Gb of memory is more than enough.

FSX will probably take no more than 700-900 mb of the cards memory.

On th other hand if P3D is going to expand with new features and more and more addons are going to be developed for it and you are interested , think carefully.

P3D uses the graphics card way more.

If you want to invest in the future and stay with your card for a couple of years try to get your hands on a 6 Gb card.

Perhaps some day you are going to use a multimonitor setup or switch to P3D.

Is it only FSX then a 3 Gb card is more than enough.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I am going to buy a new PC amongst others (of not mainly) for P3D. I was thinking about a FTX780 Ti but some people said a GTX 780 is good enough and the difference is too small while the card is a LOT cheaper. But just now I discovered the Asus GTX780 that has 6 GB VRAM...! The price is exactly in the middle between the 780 and the 780 Ti. Seems to me the extra money over the 780 is worth it for the extra VRAM and in the end the 6B 780 might be even BETTER for P3D 2.2 than the 708 Ti...? The latter is faster but 'only' has 3 GB VRAM!

Which of the three would be the best pick for P3D? The Ti costs more while it's only slightly faster than the 780 so the price difference is a bit absurd, but 6 GB... with a price that's in the middle...

BTW I am also considering the R9 290X with 4 BG... a lot cheaper and 4 GB is nice already too. But I don't know... AMD and flightsims...? I've been using nVidia for years and years so I am a bit scared to switch to AMD.

Thankyou for your thoughts.

I think i will go for an OC'ed 780 (3GB).

Best regards

Anders

Say your post J van E on my thread going through the same decision process, ha!  Noting what LM said a ways back was to purchase a card with the most RAM within your budget.  That tells me more RAM has the edge over a faster card.  From all the reviews I am reading the 780 6GB is the best bang for the buck.  THis is for strictly P3D use so it would also be more than enough if I have to test with FSX on something. 

I would not go with Radion cards if you are moving forward with P3D.  From what I read, AMD will not support "SLI" (is it called crossfire?), for window mode applications and P3D in full screen is actually a windowed mode.  So that made my decision to stick with Nvidia. 

Ok, think I am about to push the purchase button so I have my new card for 4th of July weekend!

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit