Sign in to follow this  
Stripesace

Definitive Guide to FSX with DX-10

Finally thinking I'm ready for what's next for my FSX. I've kicked the can around about going to P3D, as I really only use the feel there ERJ-145 and Eaglesoft Citation X but decided to give DirectX10 a shot first.

Sad to see what was viewed as the "one stop fix" for DX-10 is no longer on the market, so I'm asking, is there a definitive guide to going to DX-10, or do I just click the button and search out fixes as I discover them? 

The only other add ons I'm running are FTX-Global, FSDreamTeam Houston, and all the free airports from FTX Global.

Finally thinking I'm ready for what's next for my FSX. I've kicked the can around about going to P3D, as I really only use the feel there ERJ-145 and Eaglesoft Citation X but decided to give DirectX10 a shot first.

Sad to see what was viewed as the "one stop fix" for DX-10 is no longer on the market, so I'm asking, is there a definitive guide to going to DX-10, or do I just click the button and search out fixes as I discover them? 

The only other add ons I'm running are FTX-Global, FSDreamTeam Houston, and all the free airports from FTX Global.

There is a way to download Steve's original DX10 patch here on AVSIM in the library.  I was able to get my DX10 adjustments made with Steve's DX10 Fixer and with the Definitive guides here at AVISM.  Google is your friend here.  If you go over to the combat simulator forum there is a guy helping people with DX10 issues.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?92-DX10

You can see here where many of us have done a lot with DX10.  I like it simply because it does make things smoother.

THERE IS NO PERFORMANCE BOOST.  Just to save you time if you think there is.  Only a good bit smoother run.  Keep in mind however that if your FSX computer setup is not stable and you get crashes etc, DX10 does not fix systemic problems or anything like that.  Stable in DX9 Stable in DX10 visa versa.

So you want to take a few moments to decide if it is worth the trouble to make the move over.

NickN, who is one of thee most respected FSX guru's both hardware and software, does not use DX10.  Google NickN's Bible and there is a WEALTH of setup, hardware, software, how to's etc.  He gives his opinion over there.  You can find him over on SimForums.  

Here is a great little tutorial on how to install a driver I found helpful.  This will give you a flavor of what I mean.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html

Either way good luck.  If you have the means, and I will probably do this myself, is to migrate over the P3D V2.  Lot's of simmers are having good results.

Respectfully,

Jet