Sign in to follow this  
SouthportGuy

FSX 747-400 Startup

Hi,

Is there a procedure for doing a cold start of the default 747-400 with the upgraded cockpit?

I don't mean the PMDG 747 and

I don't want to just do CTRL+E to start it.

I've been googling and asking other users for months and I'm just seeing if anyone here knows how to do it. I've even tried some trial and error but to no avail.

How about starting the sim in the default Trike with engine running, then shutting that down, and then selecting the default FSX 747-400. I think, AFAIK, it should then be loaded in a C&D situation.

Give it a try.

Yes, you can do a cold & Dark start-up without doing a Ctrl+E.

1.Go to the overhead panel and turn on the battery.

2. Go to the center pedestal and make sure all fuel switches are in the off position.  No fuel until you have the turbines spinning!

3. Back to the overhead panel and click on engine start switch-1 to get the turbine spinning.

4.  Go to the center pedestal and flick on the #1 fuel valve switch.  The engine should ignite, or blow up!

5.  Back to the overhead panel and turn on the #1 generator.

6.  Repeat the steps for the remaining engines.

&.  Are we having fun yet??? :huh:

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Yes, you can do a cold & Dark start-up without doing a Ctrl+E.

1.Go to the overhead panel and turn on the battery.

2. Go to the center pedestal and make sure all fuel switches are in the off position.  No fuel until you have the turbines spinning!

3. Back to the overhead panel and click on engine start switch-1 to get the turbine spinning.

4.  Go to the center pedestal and flick on the #1 fuel valve switch.  The engine should ignite, or blow up!

5.  Back to the overhead panel and turn on the #1 generator.

6.  Repeat the steps for the remaining engines.

&.  Are we having fun yet??? :huh:

OK. Over the past few months I've gathered that something like what you've listed is a possible procedure. But for me it doesn't work. After step four you can just hear the engine winding up . . . . . and then winding down . . . . . and then winding up . . . . and then down. ARRGGGGG. :) I can tell you that I watch N2 and am trying to make sure the turbine is above 20% before I try to let fuel flow.

Don't need no stinkin" APU!  I just tried my steps in that order to get my 747 started and happy!  Try turning off the fuel switch..wait a

second or 2 then flip it back on!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Don't need no stinkin" APU!  I just tried my steps in that order to get my 747 started and happy!  Try turning off the fuel switch..wait a

second or 2 then flip it back on!

Crap. It still doesn't work. There must be something I'm missing. I've done each of your steps to a T. I have fuel, you name it and I've tried to think of it.

You are letting the turbine spool up for about 10 seconds before turning the fuel switch on and then cycling the switch if it

doesn't catch the first time?  Is your tongue in the right position?  Oh, I forgot!  Ya gotta hop on 1 foot while patting your head

and rubbing your stomach. ^_^  We are cool on which switches are the fuel switches?  The 4 just under the thrust levers.

uoMKx.jpg

Charlie Aron

You are letting the turbine spool up for about 10 seconds before turning the fuel switch on and then cycling the switch if it

doesn't catch the first time?  Is your tongue in the right position?  Oh, I forgot!  Ya gotta hop on 1 foot while patting your head

and rubbing your stomach. ^_^  We are cool on which switches are the fuel switches?  The 4 just under the thrust levers.

uoMKx.jpg

Yup. But my consoles look slightly different than yours. I'll post some screen shots in a moment.

fsx-2014-jul-19-001_zpsa211b716.jpg

fsx-2014-jul-19-002_zps0813426d.jpg

That wasn't my 747 console, just an image on the Internet.  This will take some practice

on your part.  You aren't planning to blow up the White House are you?? :huh:  

Just looking through your photobucket!  2nd picture down of the upper

panel the 4 black engine start switches are centered just above

horizontal centerline.  Just like with flying the ILS, this will take some time and patience.

Charlie Aron

That wasn't my 747 console, just an image on the Internet.  This will take some practice

on your part.  You aren't planning to blow up the White House are you?? :huh:  

Just looking through your photobucket!  2nd picture down of the upper

panel the 4 black engine start switches are centered just above

horizontal centerline.  Just like with flying the ILS, this will take some time and patience.

OK. I guess I will keep on practicing. But I will add, when I do hit CTRL+E and watch the sim do the startup automatically, once the first engine is running it turns the avionics master switch to the "Bat" position which if you hover over it says "Avionics Master 'on'.

You'd think that if I just copied the steps I can observe the sim doing that it would work . . .but no. :(

You aren't planning to blow up the White House are you?? :huh: 

LOL. No. I'm just a 3D artist who has sold some models and images.

Sometimes engines won't ignite properly. After you've engaged the starters and have the engine at N2, press CTRL+SHIFT+F4 and it should light and spool up normally.

The key combination is for controlling mixture in prop planes and I have no idea why FSX keeps track of it in jets, but it does work for me.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Sometimes engines won't ignite properly. After you've engaged the starters and have the engine at N2, press CTRL+SHIFT+F4 and it should light and spool up normally.

The key combination is for controlling mixture in prop planes and I have no idea why FSX keeps track of it in jets, but it does work for me.

That worked! Finally!!! I appreciate the tip. So gratifying to hear the engine fire up without having to use ctrl+e. Thanks Bjoern.

OK, now I know why my start up procedure works for me.  My default flight is set up

using the Baron and I have my mixture set at full rich.  That's the reason, when someone

asks about how to do a Cold and Dark start up, I always suggest that aircraft because of the

switches and Prop levers/mixture controls.

Charlie Aron

That worked! Finally!!! I appreciate the tip. So gratifying to hear the engine fire up without having to use ctrl+e. Thanks Bjoern.

You're welcome.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days