Sign in to follow this  
Guest jlwoodward

Eager Beaver

Has anyone had success with installing this freeware DH2 Beaver recently uploaded to the file Library? I get an error message saying that FS9 cannot load Bvr_Switches.gau (or words to that effect) and the VC doesn't work. I can get rid of the error message by commenting out reference to the gauge in the panel.cfg file but haven't been able to fix the VC. Another trap for the unwary is that the recommended install process loads fsuipc v 3.45. (the latest is 3.47).Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there. I Downloaded it ok,but it has no vc as it's modelled on Steven Grant's plane. I like the panel, but I find no vc is wierd, so I got odog's panel for the Aerosoft Beaver which, among other things gives that great little plane an autopilot and it has a vc as well, so it wins on all counts. I don't know about the fsuip or the gauges as everything just went in ok, so I can't help with that part of it.

Thanks for the comment. I guess what confused me is the reference to to "nice interior 3D shots" in the Avsim library blurb and what appears to be a virtual Cockpit section in the panel.cfg file. However thanks again for putting me right. The FSUIP thing could be of concern if an unsuspecting user overwrote the current version of FSUIP (3.47) with the older version (3.45)included with this install. Not sure then what was causing the gauge error message but removing any reference to it in the panel panel.cfg doesn't seem to cause a problem.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Well after the penny dropped that there was no VC because this is part of the aircraft model I have now managed to add the model and VC from John Woodward's beaver (which doesn't have a 2D cockpit) to this beaver and have both a 2D and Virtual Cockpit. At first I tried to add the 2D cockpit from this aircraft to John Woodwards but couldn'get it to work so I did it the other way round. Seems to work apart from odd effects when switching views and the aircraft sits a bit lower in the water. Having ActiveCamera helped. This will do for the moment but I guess like most other people I will end up buying the aerosoft beaver to fly around Misty Fjords.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi again. That's interesting about putting the two planes together to get one full one! I think I've tried that- not successfully I remember.I might try your way as I like the Steven Grant planes, but I do like a vc as well.Never satisfied, some people!Andy.

Guest jlwoodward

I can't imagine how one can take the VC from one plane and put it into another, especially after knowing all the little details and work that went into creating it. Someone must have discovered a pretty neat trick.I have been tweaking my Beavers and refining the VC ever since I upgraded my computer and started to discover little annoying glitches. I don't plan to upload it again but I might if there is enough interest. The Aerosoft Beaver appears to be the way to go. However, I must say that I bought the Aerosoft but I dumped it after a couple of flights. Nice exterior but the VC was not up to par for me. I didn't mind having spent the money because it did inspire me to fix up my own.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there. I think what I tried to do was load an interesting looking panel with side views into your plane. Needless to say I made a total hash of it and I guess that if it was that straightforward you would surely have done it!! The panel as I recall was a really battered looking thing! I will take the opportunity to thank you for the models you create for all of us.Andy.

Guest CapHavoc

Howdy,"I can't imagine how one can take the VC from one plane and put it into another, especially after knowing all the little details and work that went into creating it. Someone must have discovered a pretty neat trick."I too am extremely curious as to how this was achieved.

Same here as you shouldn't be able to add a VC like a panel in reality. But I do remember the glitchs from transferring the VC version of the Grant model to FS9 and having the 3d interior show up as a somewhat VC, which could be the case here.Although I haven't d/led it, the original "Eager beaver" d/l sounds kinda like a hack to make an older model be FS9 specific, which rarely provides satisfactory results.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

OK a slight recant here. What I did works except that side views don't display correctly - you get the VC showing through. But the forward view was fine. (I did something similar with the Fanda and PSS Dash 8 which worked fine). However not being satisfied with this I followed John Woodward's instructions more precisely for adding a 2D panel to his VC only Beaver and successfully added the 2D panel from the Eager Beaver plane.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Guest jlwoodward

Yes, any 2d panel can be added to my Beavers. As pointed out, they are only good for the straight ahead view as the actual VC will show in the side and rear views. The reason this plane did not come with a 2d panel was that permission could not be obtained for the one available, but since then several good panels have turned up for download and any of them should work.