Sign in to follow this  
nathanpinard

Finding My Flight Sim Path, And What Was Yours?

Recently I've gotten into flight simming and aviation in general. Sitting and watching the AOA videos back to back like it's a new season of Game of Thrones, and then also watching the various disaster documentaries.

I've started flying my only craft I purchased, which is a Baron 58 from Carenado. Not the best plan, but not the worst.

I"m curious to know what people think about finding their "path" in simming? What I mean is actually going step by step all the way to a certain goal.

For instance, after learning all the basics for VFR and IFR I could do:

1. Fly a set number of hours VFR to real world destinations, no more than an hour but no less than 30min. Use local known locations (in my case PDX) using default ATC.

2. Fly a set number of hours IFR in lower visibility situations, to real world destinations known using default ATC.

3. Fly a set number of bush routes using/not using ATC.

4. Buy FSCaptian and a standard passenger craft such as a Q400, Twin Otter, AirBus or other craft and start a career in FSCaptain. Fly a set number of hours.

5. After getting used to flying, routes, IFR, ILS, VFR, and so on, join VATSim and continue FSCaptin career.

6. After a few months on VATSim, join pilotedge.

7. Eventually get certified on Pilotedge.

8. Join a VA and get a PDMG plane (probably the 737)

And so on...

I'm curious to know what people did. I could just jump right into Vatsim and fly around. But I prefer a purpose to flying, not just to fly. I'd even get FSPassengers too but I'm not sure there is support for P3D. There are a few other addons I've heard that may take over FSCaptain (anyone know what that was called?)

I'm curious, what did you guys do? Did you step yourself to make it almost realistic? Or did you go and join a VA that would take a complete noob?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!