Sign in to follow this  
Guest TerryT

Sahara sand paints the sky in central Europe (pics)

Yesterday we were so lucky here in the Innsbruck (LOWI) area to experience a rather seldom weather phenomena. In the middle of the Alps, approx 1500 - 2000 km north of the African Sahara desert, the sky was painted in shades of gold, yellow, orange and red by sand, which was blown here from Northern Africa by heavy winds. Following 3 pics, whhich don't do justice to what it really looked - it was simply breath taking and beautiful. Also I appologize for the unsharpness, espeecially of the 3rd pic.What you see is not an aurora or a sunset glow. These pics were taken around noon from our terrace facing to north-north-east.I know this is not directly about aviation, but about weather. And since aviation is strongly connected to weather, I do hope the mods do not remove this post ;-) . I also think this is is the more appropriate forum for this topic than the screeshot forum.Wolfganghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/64280.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/64281.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/64282.jpg

Guest Stompy

That's wild!!! Thanks for the pics!

Amazing pictures! As for the post being aviation related, that sand sure looks like it is flying to me :)

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest TerryT

Wolfgang, Those pictures look much like our skies here in Albuquerque, NM when the winds kick up to 50 to 60 mph during the spring and fall. Our color would be more of a cement grey or tan verses the nice golden color in your pictures. That makes flying or even standing upright difficult. Our little 10,600 foot Sandia Mountains here in Albuquerque look rather small compared to the Alps there in Innsbruck. Then again, we sit in the Rio Grande River valley at an elevation of 5,100 feet above sea level. This year for the first time in three years, we have been able to open the ski area 100% on the Sandia Mountain do to the severe drought in the desert southwestern United States. I am glad you had one of your nice clear skies when we visited your lovely city back in July 1995. I remember riding the bus down the mountain pass on the western end of the city and we drove by the airport on our way to the hotel. I seem to remember the road and runways were almost next to each other. That night, we went to the Tiroler Abend at the Tiroler Alpenbuhne Geschwister Gundolf and I think we stayed at the Hotel Sailer. At least that is what is says on the video tape we purchased. Terry