Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

Why do you like Float Planes in FS9???

I've been wondering why so many people like Float planes in FS9. Operating in water in FS9 is far from realistic. I mean besides the occasional bouncing up and down by the water it's very unrealistic. Just like true turboprop charactorisitcs aren't possible do to limitations in FS9, water landings are far from the challenge they are in the real world. It would seem water modeling in Flight Simulator is the most arcadish/game like feature in the sim. Hopefully Microsoft addresses this in the next version...I remember I couldn't get into low flying GA aircraft until FS2k4 came out with it's awesome scenery engine. With add-ons like 'Misty Forges', GA low level flying is all the better. The joy is taken away when I load up a float plane and do some water operations... I found myself doing that tonight against my better judgment trying to figure out what some of you are seeing that I

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

There are a lot of things that are not realistic in the sim. I think the lack of fear of an accident or a crash really takes away from the challenge of any flight in the sim.I love float plane ops in the sim, while not totally realistic, it's easy to flip the aircraft on full realism if you hit the water to fast, etc. I like being able to land anywhere and from an eye candy point of view, with the Maule effects looks pretty sweet! LOLa big part of my VAs ops is bush flying and of the several other VAs we share a forum with, they all have float plane ops, and several are real world pilots that do this for a living and are rated for float ops. I'll see if I can get any of them to respond.I take it you've been playing with the Bonanza on floats huh?Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest ThrottleUp

I mostly fly the heavies when it comes to FS9 but now and then I do like trundling around behind propellers. So I got the Twin Otter on floats.Like anything else in the simulation people get em for fun. Yes the water simulation isnt good but for people who like to fly in BC, Alaska etc. it adds a wee bit more realism because float planes are used in those areas a lot in real life. Also for the other simmers on here who fly heavies all the time its a nice contrast after rumbling thru the sky quietly at FL390 for hours. In fact a lot of real-world "heavy-pilots" miss the little pistons. I've seen my share of Boeing Captains wanting to take the float-equipped Cessna-172 out for a spin!:)