Sign in to follow this  

Solution to those having OOM issues in P3D v2.3

That must be it  :P  as LM has done bugger all in this regard, and they still spin, just as they always have since v2 (get in a Tiger Moth or Trike and tell me you can't see them spin)... the Cirrus layers still render in stripes too, which was reported since v2.0 yet has not been addressed.

Can you show or explain what these two issues are? I don't see anything about clouds spinning in OpusFSI (beta)

In fact the clouds are quite impressive. So much that I think I made the right move going with Opus instead of ASN.

Guest Novation

Can you show or explain what these two issues are?

Sure... but we are heading OT which is partly my fault.. these are well documented elsewhere.

Vid post from fiftysix, showing the 'spin'... this will occur regardless of weather engine, as its the way clouds work in P3D

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/450101-fixed-the-disappearing-cloud-shadows-issue/?p=3064018

And a screen showing the hard lines of Cirrus.

YK6S.jpg

Back to the OOM fix from now on :unsure:

Odd....never had that issue.

As far as the OOM goes, I haven't had it yet but I haven't done hour long flights, so I guess I'll find out eventually.

Thanks you Rob, it seem decrase probability to take OOM.

If possible can tell me where  found entire list of strings to do work in Prepar3D file?

Regards, MrJ

Hi all,

Having had a few oom's I tried following the advice from Rob 

Quote from Rob. 8. Double click the saved flight file (.fxml)

When I double click the saved flight file fxml it just opens in notepad !

I'm not usually this thick, but have no idea what I am doing wrong, (will call it a senior moment) any help would be much appreciated.

Mick

Right click and choose (something like) Open with... and then select P3D as the program to use that file with. (What you get to see exactly depends on your Windows version.)

With FTX Global, Vector, REX4, OpusFSI (beta), PNW, and NCA I flew from PDX to basically somewhere in Canada (just pointed north) for about 1.5 hours in the Q400.

My VAS remained around the same and never creeped up. I'm not using any AI addons though, and the only NON-native addon is EZCA.

I'd be curious to know if those that are using the migrator to import certain scenery and such are having the most issues with VAS.

Right click and choose (something like) Open with... and then select P3D as the program to use that file with. (What you get to see exactly depends on your Windows version.)

Thanks for that, but still don't grasp it. 

Win 7. I can get to the p3d folder but then I have to choose the p3d.exe which is the same as using the desktop short cut.   is there another file I should be choosing?

Thanks Mick

Win 7. I can get to the p3d folder but then I have to choose the p3d.exe which is the same as using the desktop short cut.

That's not the same: the shortcut isn't the program itself. Anyway, here is a tutorial for this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/12196-open-change-default-program.html

Look specially for "To Select a Program that is Not Listed in Context Menu" and navigate to the P3D.exe.

Thanks Jeroen

I had it right last time just realised I also have to uncheck show start up screen in p3d.to go direct to the saved flight.

Thanks for your help.

Mick

Thanks Jeroen

I had it right last time just realised I also have to uncheck show start up screen in p3d.to go direct to the saved flight.

Thanks for your help.

Mick

Well, actually, you do NOT have to skip the start up screen! Why would you have to skip it? The great thing about loading a flight this way is that you can change things to that flight on the start up screen.

For realism sake I always save a flight under the name 'Previous flight' after I have landed and shut down the plane to cold and dark. The next day I doubleclick on a shortcut I made to that saved flight to start P3D and the start up screen shows everything as it was when I left it: same plane, same location, same date, etc. I can either click on Fly now (or whatever that button is called) and proceed exactly from where I left OR I can change the date and time to anything I want to. This feels a lot more realistic to me!

BTW This also works with flights saved in mid air. So I would certainly not disable the start up screen!

(The problem with loading flights on the start up screen is that you have no other option than to immediately load and fly it while by doubleclicking on the saved file in Windows you can, as I said, change things to the situation.)

Well, actually, you do NOT have to skip the start up screen! Why would you have to skip it? The great thing about loading a flight this way is that you can change things to that flight on the start up screen.

I guess I would have arrived at using the start up screen as you suggest eventually, logical when I stop to think about it, so thankyou very much.

As I fly the Realair Duke most of the time this will make it easy to set up a new flight each new start up. After 30 years of flight simming there is always something new to learn.

Mick

After 30 years of flight simming there is always something new to learn.

Glad you got it sorted Mick ... odd that the .fxml extension didn't already associate to P3D v2.3 (prepar3d.exe) ... I thought the P3D installer added the necessary registry entries to make the .fxml extensions automatically associate with P3D v2.3.  Oh well, you got it sorted.

I probably should have not used the word "Solution" in my original post ... P3D can still OOM, perhaps a better word would have been "Suggestions".  My tips are to reduce not eliminate OOMs.

But to be clear, I still feel there is an issue on the VAS front ... but the problem is the issues doesn't surface in a pure P3D V2.3 install with NO Add-ons, the problem only surfaces when add-ons are installed.  The problem I'm defining is the ever increasing usage of VAS ... obviously 3rd party products will use more VAS but those resource should also be released when no longer needed.  However, the issue I'm seeing is that some 3rd party products seem to be making P3D retain those resources in memory that it normally would NOT.

I need to dig more into this to see if I can pin point what 3rd party product might be causing P3D to not release resources.  So far I've NOT been able to replicate using a "virgin" P3D V2.3 install (nothing else).

Cheers, Rob.

How long do I need to fly to test VAS? I did it for nearly two hours and it didn't seem to increase at all. It actually decreased a bit.

How long do I need to fly to test VAS?

16 hours ;) -- I have done a very very long flight, can't recall now, it was 13 or was it 16 hours in the RJ100 (yes I had unlimited fuel) which is a big consumer of VAS ... but I didn't have all the settings maxed out -- however I did have a lot of cloud coverage during flight.  I've done 3-4 hour flights in the CS 777 which is another big VAS consumer ... but again everything wasn't maxed out.  Done a few shorter ones 1-2 hours in the Airbus X.

For long haul flights I can use these settings: http://www.robainscough.com/P3D_V2.php BUT with these changes:

Texture Resolution: 1024

Scenery Complexity: Dense

AutoGen Veg Density: Dense

AutoGen building Density: Normal

Traffic:

Airline 30%

GA: 10%

Road: 10%

Ships: 10%

Leisure: 10%

This includes flying out of Orbx NCA + Vector from FB KSFO and landing in Melbourne.

Cheers, Rob.