Sign in to follow this  
Alex L

Aerosoft Beech 18 Flight Model

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum, but have been enjoying the many great discussions that have been going on here. I am a flight sim enthusiast and have recently been really interested in flying in the Beech 18.

I'm on the hunt for the best (for me) Beech 18 addon for (preferrably) FSX  or FS2004. I've settled on Vladimir Gonchar's "Touch O' Texas" civilian version of the freeware Milton Shupe model, which has been ported over to FSX from FS2004.  I would prefer to fly a civilian/executive (wheeled) version of the BE18.

But today I ran across some reviews of the Aerosoft Beech 18 for FS2004. I must say that I like the look of the VC and it includes some features that are not available in any other version of the BE18 that I have seen. Namely, these are an operating electrical system (with circuit breakers), oil system (with oil coolers and cut-off valves), and working windows in the VC. That's pretty cool in my book since I like little details for that extra immersion factor. But I have come across criticisms of this software both on this forum and in a review that the flight model of the Aerosoft Beech 18 is inaccurate compared to the Shupe one. 

So finally, my questions:

1. Has the flight model been updated by Aerosoft? I noticed that the downloads available for purchase now are v.1.10 (or v.1.06). Do these reflect any substantial corrections to the flight model?
  2. If not, has anyone else from the modding community uploaded a fix for the Aerosoft Beech 18 flight model, if this is even possible?
  3. Is there a port-over to FSX for the Aerosoft Beech 18 available, if this is even possible given that it's payware?

I've tried to find answers to these questions on the web but have come up dry. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Below are all of the other Beech 18 models that I have discovered in my research and some brief thoughts on them. Please feel free to comment if I have overlooked anything too: 

• Brian Gladden's Beechcraft Model 18 Volpar, FS2004 Freeware (pretty cool that this modern version of the BE18 has been modeled -- will download it in the near future)
  • Flysimware Beech 18, FSX Payware (this looks promising but the VC cockpit textures look a little dull from the screenshots I've seen -- will buy it when it's on sale)
  • CR1-Software Beech 18 Revamp, FSX Donationware (I purchased this addon recently -- it's okay but the flight systems are simpler than in Shupe's version and the autopilot is inconvenient)
  • Heinz Dziurowitz Beech 18 Package, X-Plane Payware (this is for X-Plane, which I currently don't use -- maybe one day will give it a try but the VC graphics look dated already)

Hey Alex, welcome to the forum!

I share your interest in the Beech 18/ Twin Beech/ Expeditor/ C45 - more so in civilian guise. I also agree that the Shupe/ Gonchar for FSX seems to be the best freeware solution - with options for VC, floats, amphibs, cargo or pax interiors - and plenty of skins.

I've been happy enough with these to not have ventured into the payware options - so can't answer your questions. But I'll be interested to read other answers you'll no doubt receive.

Another great vintage aircraft that i'm sure you guys know about, but just in case the Howard 500. Great aircraft and is also freeware....

Portia911, thanks for the welcome! Judging by forum posts I've read, there seems to be a lot of fans of the Beech 18 in the flight sim community. That's why it's strange to me that no payware company has developed one within the latest generation of addons. I think it would be right up the alley of the likes of Alabeo (who have already developed the Beech Model 17) and maybe even A2A. 

MartinRex007, I hadn't heard of the Howard 500 for FSX. Thanks for sharing the video -- it looks pretty cool. 

Back to my original questions, does anyone have any insights into the Aerosoft Beech 18 flight model updates or port-overs to FSX? How difficult would it be to try to port it over myself if I have not had any experience with this kind of thing?