Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Flying with just part of a wing....

Unfortunately not all flight simulators we use offer the chance of damage modelling up to the point of simulating the aerodynamics of an aircraft that has suffered severe damage, like the loss of part of a wing.

I am using two excellent flight dynamics simulators, and on each of those it is possible to model the effects of losing part of some lift generation surfaces, like the wings ( but not only ... ).

It's frequent to see users post their admiration regarding the possibility of flight, and even return to base, under such extreme conditions, and although there are some fake, but also some good videos on youtube showing it, Yo-Yo, the brain behind the extraordinary flight dynamics model used in one of those two sims I use has posted this rather interesting info at the ED Forums:

Post with link to three videos showing flight with only partial wing ( asymmetric ) at the ED Forums...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

It's applicable to mainly combat flight simulators. In many cases I got parts of my aircraft shot off and could barely maneuver after a bad fight yet still make it to landing despite gears don't come down afterwards.

I believe the same applies to X-plane, as once in a really bad thundercloud the right wing of my An-24 suddenly snapped off leading the aircraft to a dive... That's something I never seen in FSX.

I believe the same applies to X-plane, as once in a really bad thundercloud the right wing of my An-24 suddenly snapped off leading the aircraft to a dive... That's something I never seen in FSX.

Really? I wasn't aware this was natively modeled in X-Plane ( ? )  Thx for the info Tushka.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Really? I wasn't aware this was natively modeled in X-Plane ( ? )  Thx for the info Tushka.

In the "operations & warnings" tab check the damages section and tick in the boxes except reset on hard crash... Then if you exceed speed or simply pull too many G's your aircraft will fall apart.

X-Plane uses quite a different aerodynamics system... The 3D model itself defines how the aircraft will fly as X-plane then calculates the model. Try to design a house with a jet engine, I bet it won't move :lol:

Yes, I was aware of that type of damage modeling - losing aircraft parts :-) - in X-Plane, but I am not sure it models cases where part of a a wing is ripped off.... at least aerodynamically ...

It used to be funny, on older version of X-Plane, to see a message like: " you exceeded VNE, so, I will now remove your left aileron..." and the like :-)

Main Simulation Rig: