Sign in to follow this  
Balint

Rudder trim

So I was practicing manual landings and low fuel situations in the 77W when the right engine had a serious failure (can't recall which item went out), oil temperature was rising and I decided to shut it down.

2014-9-29_20-46-7-257.png

Then landed immediately and did a maintenance via the CDU's appropriate menu.

Then during the preflight checklist of the next flight I noticed that the rudder trim was to the right by 0.3 units. Checked the rudder trim indicator and it showed accordingly.

2014-10-6_17-52-57-921.png

I then clicked the manual trim cancel button but nothing happened. Then set the trim back to 0.0 manually, which looked OK, but then after pressing the manual trim cancel button, it went back to 0.3R instantly.

It affeects taxi (I have set autorudder on in FSX as I don't have any pedals), but I didn't notice much of an effect in flight. I can't tell, really.

What did I miss here?

Thanks, cheers,

What did I miss here?

Thrust Asymmetry Compensation - TAC - standard feature on the 777 to manage events exactly like this.

In order to turn that off (not sure why you'd want to), look up on the overhead (I believe it's on the upper part of the overhead).

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle.

I've cleared out all failures but the rudder trim was still set to 0.3R even after I clicked the manual trim cancel button. Is there a way to reset this?

Cheers,

Instead of manual trim cancel, press the THRUST ASYM COMP switch overhead as Kyle suggested (FCOM 9.10.1). Also see description of TAC at FCOM 9.20.16; note that TAC is not avail on ground below 70 kts.  0.3R seems trivial compared to rudder trim range of 0-15; I never use autorudder in FSX, my cheap MS joystick has a rudder axis that I do use. Try without autorudder and pressing the overhead switch as suggested.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks! The depth of realism of this addon never ceases to amaze me :)

Cheers,