Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

PC Backup Dilema

I don’t believe this....

After learning through costly mistakes a few years ago, I finally bit the bullet and purchased decent backup software (Acronis).  I have a hard drive that I keep all my backups on.  These backups include standard Windows and FSX installations, all at various stages, so I don’t need to reinstall when things go pear shaped.

Either that hard drive or Windows, has just had a 'hissy fit' and although I can 'see' the drive, it's lost it's drive letter, so nothing can 'read' it:(

Tried a sys restore and various 'freebie' partition/disk restorers, but so far, with no luck.  The disc has two partitions, the 1st of which is fine.  This *suggests* to me that it could be partition table related?

If anyone has ideas on how to retrieve my backups, I'd be grateful to hear them???

Seems I needed backups of my backups grrrrrr....

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Tried a sys restore and various 'freebie' partition/disk restorers, but so far, with no luck. The disc has two partitions, the 1st of which is fine. This *suggests* to me that it could be partition table related?

Hi Phil,

Edit:  *****NOTE****** I just realized that if you only have one hard drive with your partition(s) on it, . .  the part of my post involving disconnecting the drive will not work at all - don't do it!!!!!!!

If your backups are on a second drive, either internal or external it will work as long as your functioning OS is not on it

If you are running Windows XP you might try: Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Storage - Disk Management. Once you open Disk Management you will be able to see what is listed as drive(s) and partition(s). If your drive/ partition with the backups is still shown but has no letter you might try right clicking on the text listing at the top of the window and in the drop down menu, click on 'Change Drive Letter and Paths . . . . . ; In doing so, be careful the it doesn't try to wipe the drive clean in the process. If that process fails to work or it intends to reformat then you might try disconnecting the drive, reboot your PC, allow everything to get booted or initialized, then shut down the PC again. Reconnect the drive and reboot again. That will cause XP to rediscover the drive. XP will assign a drive letter. When that is done you can repeat the process I outlined in the first sentence to change the drive letter if you find that necessary or needed.

Windows 7 uses the same method as above with UAC and settings to Administrator. Of course restore your current settings when finished if needed.

With Windows 8.0 or 8.1 I have no knowledge but I imagine the process would be somewhat the same, but I don't know.

I hope this helps you get your problem fixed.

Regards,