Sign in to follow this  
AndyCYXU

Question about STARS

so i had a great flight with voxatc from CYYZ-KMIA and i think they will be getting my money, if for nothing else then for the fact I dont have to press 1's and 2's lol or about anything on the keyboard and it understands me better then SIRI LOL.

OK my question though and I do not know how real life procedure is done but I found it odd..

Near the arrival i was given ANNEY2 arrival with OMN (ormond beach) transition so good i quickly found them in FMC and entered them and executed and all was good... except one thing... in the FMC selection there are many ANNEY2 like ANNEY2.## where the ## is the runway number, one for each runway and i was never told by ATC which runway ANNEY2 for which runway... I would think they might be different....?

Should not ATC tell me something like:

"expect ANNEY2 Arival Ormond Beach Transition landing runway 30"  runway 30 was what it ended up being but i never knew until much later into the flight when i switched to approach and they told me.

Also few other things i couldn't figure out.

1. is there a way to know which runway they intend for me to land on as described above so I know which STAR to select as it seems there is same STAR for many different runways, I will rewatch a video about stars now that I can use them great piece made by Pilot Edge welll explain and takes away all the secrets from STARs :)

OK I GOT THIS FIGURED OUT

2. Before landing I would like to check ATIS for the airport I never found a way to request it did not see an option there after pressing 0 to get the extra options. I guess getting ATIS would tell me runways in service so i would know that this ANNEY2 star is for rwy 30 not 27R or 27L or whatever... or do i just check ATIS on my own but if I am too far from airport i cant get it...

Would be helpful to add it to the menu after pressing 0.. for reading impaired lazy beginners LOL :P

3. as I am flying my ANNEY2 arrival i am being vector by ATC off of it just vectoring me to the runway their own way... well whats the point of the STAR, i found however an option in all the programs installed by VOXATC where i can edit flight plan so i do not get VECTORS so that i think i got it now.

other then that great program and i think it does very nice traffic too, i got a feeling it doesn't spawn traffic like crazy in every airport you fly over or near though resulting in 100's of active AI and killing your CPU with it.

Thanks for any help here.

Andy

so i had a great flight with voxatc from CYYZ-KMIA and i think they will be getting my money, if for nothing else then for the fact I dont have to press 1's and 2's lol or about anything on the keyboard and it understands me better then SIRI LOL.

OK my question though and I do not know how real life procedure is done but I found it odd..

Near the arrival i was given ANNEY2 arrival with OMN (ormond beach) transition so good i quickly found them in FMC and entered them and executed and all was good... except one thing... in the FMC selection there are many ANNEY2 like ANNEY2.## where the ## is the runway number, one for each runway and i was never told by ATC which runway ANNEY2 for which runway... I would think they might be different....?

Should not ATC tell me something like:

"expect ANNEY2 Arival Ormond Beach Transition landing runway 30"  runway 30 was what it ended up being but i never knew until much later into the flight when i switched to approach and they told me.

Also few other things i couldn't figure out.

1. is there a way to know which runway they intend for me to land on as described above so I know which STAR to select as it seems there is same STAR for many different runways, I will rewatch a video about stars now that I can use them great piece made by Pilot Edge welll explain and takes away all the secrets from STARs :)

2. Before landing I would like to check ATIS for the airport I never found a way to request it did not see an option there after pressing 0 to get the extra options. I guess getting ATIS would tell me runways in service so i would know that this ANNEY2 star is for rwy 30 not 27R or 27L or whatever... or do i just check ATIS on my own but if I am too far from airport i cant get it...

3. as I am flying my ANNEY2 arrival i am being vector by ATC off of it just vectoring me to the runway their own way... well whats the point of the STAR, i found however an option in all the programs installed by VOXATC where i can edit flight plan so i do not get VECTORS so that i think i got it now.

other then that great program and i think it does very nice traffic too, i got a feeling it doesn't spawn traffic like crazy in every airport you fly over or near though resulting in 100's of active AI and killing your CPU with it.

Thanks for any help here.

Andy

As far as I know, it is not the ATRCC's job to tell you what runway to expect.  That is more the job of the Approach controller.  Once you get closer to the airport you should be told what runway to expect.

1.  Your weather software (OPUS, ASN, etc.) or flight planning software like PFPX should have the expected weather at your destination airport and this will give you some idea what runway to expect.   It can be fluid with realistic weather software running as the winds can shift from one minute to the next.   When all else fails, start listening for the ATIS for what ever airport you arriving at once you are within 50-80 miles.   It will almost always tell you the exact runway to expect.

2.  ATIS is on your destination airports Diagram chart which you can get off of websites like Flightaware.com     The ATC is not going to tell you the ATIS.  You are expected to know this via your pre-flight briefing or charts.

3.  Just because you are on a STAR doesn't mean the ATC is going to let you stay on your STAR.   It should let you go a fairly good ways down it but once you enter the airport control area expect vectors to final.   This is how it is done, at least on VatSIM which tries to mimic real world procedures and this is the VoxATC handles it.

VoxATC is epic sauce.  When I am not on VatSIM it is always VoxATC at my side.  Hope this helps you!

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

1. Your weather software (OPUS, ASN, etc.) or flight planning software like PFPX should have the expected weather at your destination airport and this will give you some idea what runway to expect.

That is what I used for this flight it gave me the idea of it being one of 09 Runways ASN reported winds 60 deg... but ended up being rwy 30 with winds something like 320 deg so that was nice.

2. ATIS is on your destination airports Diagram chart which you can get off of websites like Flightaware.com The ATC is not going to tell you the ATIS. You are expected to know this via your pre-flight briefing or charts.

Yes i know that I just wasn't sure how to ask for it in VoxATC, "<calsign >request frequency change for weather" they just kept on telling me to "last aircraft say again" so i will try revisit the manual and see exactly how it has to be phrased and see how it works out, in radar contact it's easy.. "lame" but easy you just press the number LOL so i was hoping pressing 0 will give me some clue but all there was ETA and position updates.

3. Just because you are on a STAR doesn't mean the ATC is going to let you stay on your STAR. It should let you go a fairly good ways down it but once you enter the airport control area expect vectors to final. This is how it is done, at least on VatSIM which tries to mimic real world procedures and this is the VoxATC handles it.

OK good this kinda clarifies it.

Thanks

Andy