Sign in to follow this  
riccardo74

Maddog ancd VC shadows, any chance?

Hey guys I've literraly fallen in love with this a/c. Tried on Prepar3D 2.4 but all knobs and switches don't work in VC, only 2d. VC in Prepar3D 2.4 is something stunning due to VC shadows. So I tried to activate them in FSX using DX10 fixer without success. Where I mistake? If I tried to modify via DX10 tool the .mdl file I got the msg "legacy file" or somethig similar and can't go on any further.

Why in Prepar3D 2.4 VC shadows work fine and in FSX no?

Thanks so much in advance.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

See the post at the bottom of the page re ForceVCShadowMap

- cannot guarantee how good they will be though.

Oh you also need to enable Fs9 shadows in Legacy dialog, maybe in debug set Shadow Generation to 3 and probably in Shadow Dialog Force VC Walls, and you should disable HD shadows too.

Because it currently doesn't work if you don't - similarly for the Shadow Generation.

HD Shadows may work in a later version, but even them I simply cannot predict how good or bad VC shadows will be in an aircraft that I don't own.

Thanks for your help Steve. I follow all the steps you posted here but I can't get VC shadows in the Maddog, instead in the other aircraft this tweak works fine.

The only thing I can see (but I don't think it's a VC shadow) is a large uniform shadow but not a defined shadow like in P3D 2.4 link I posted above.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Now that I have found it is possible, I am trying to improve legacy VC shadowing.

Your question was is there any chance - last week the answer was no, this week its maybe, but from what you describe for that aircraft you may just be unlucky.

Steve first of all thank you for your kindness.

Assuming that the plane model is the same for FSX and P3D, I can not understand why in FSX DX10 shadows do not see (the plane behaves exactly like the NGX), while Lockheed Martin Prepar3D 2.4 shadows work perfectly.

Maybe it is DX11?

Just to give you an idea in the NGX shadows do not work nor in FSX nor in P3D, while the Maddog with FSX DX10 will not work while you P3D works fine.

That 's what I do not understand.

Should they logically not work in FSX neither in P3D?

FSX and P3D are different - its not the model its the code that takes the model and draws it that matters.

FSX was coded not to attempt to show any shadows for legacy aircraft in DX9 or DX10.

The P3D team must have explicitly changed the code of P3D to show shadows for legacy aircraft - good for them I say!

Some time ago I found that a workaround that allows external shadows for some legacy aircraft (with some help from DX10SF)

Last week I discovered a fsx.cfg setting that provides a way to enable VC shadows for legacy aircraft butsince I didn't know about this when I wrote DX10SF v2.4 it therefore follows that many shadow features for don't work properly (for legacy aircraft)even with the new setting

I am trying to support as much as I can in 2.5 but even then this is new stuff and therefore I don't know how successful it can be yet.

Thanks so much for your help and your work! your SF is a must have, I am very happy with it!

I installed today 2.5 Fixer and can confirm that VC shadows don't works, this fix can't apply to this aircraft (Maddog is not SDK FSX coded I think). The only effect I can note is the changing of light incidence inside VC.