Sign in to follow this  
tutmeister

Autogen size

There is a thread on the prepar3d forum regarding this but it isn't going anywhere fast so thought I would ask the question here.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/autogen-house-size/

It has been a long standing issue with FSX but surely there must be a way of dealing with it. Why are the autogen buildings and trees so big? Is there a way to scale them down by 30-50%?

It would really help when judging altitude on low and curving approaches when you are looking out of the canopy most of the time.

In the past the answer was always no it can't be done, but does anybody know why? As mentioned in that thread, X-plane has more accurately sized trees, I know it is different but surely there is a way.

Hopefully LM might come up with a solution but in the mean time can it be done by tweaking anything?

To get round it I am using excludes and manually placing smaller trees where they should be on some of my scenery I'm working on but this doesn't fix the issue in the surrounding areas.

Chris

I agree. I know I posted a long time back about this.

My understanding is: the trees and buildings are big because then you won't need as many of them in any given area, where as, having smaller buildings, houses, trees would requires more of them thus impacting performance.

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

I agree that would be right for area coverage but they are too tall, I'd rather have more sparse autogen but shorter trees and buildings. Prepar3d also seems to have denser coverage than fsx did but uses the same autogen assets. We could get away with smaller objects now.

Chris

I fully agree with this too. Last night I was landing on runway 21 on CZNL, and those big trees and autogen houses at each end of runway are killers...

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11