Sign in to follow this  
Guest shanwick

check this out, live ACARS from Perth AP!

Guest shanwick

Very interesting.In the days when I was more into radio than I am now I used to pick up ACARS transmissions on my scanner which was linked to a PC and, using some decoding software, managed to get some meaning out of what was being transmitted. The software was a bit iffy in those days but seems to have improved considerably since then.I wonder if what this guy is doing is legal, though. Here in the UK it is illegal to even listen privately to this sort of stuff, let alone pulish it on the Internet. Honestly !! If the utility man calls at your house and uses his radio to call for spares it is OK for you to stand beside him and listen - but use a radio to do it and you are breaking the law !!David

i really enjoyed this 747 from singapore coming into landDescent Report:0545UTC, 31.38 South 115.56 EastFlight Level 048 Temp:15.7

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest shanwick

Yes, I like it too :-) Now, let's see. AT 05:45 a 747 was at FL048 - bit high for this type of a/c, isn't it? Then two minutes later it's at FL024. That's a descent rate of 12,000 feet per minute :-lol Either there's something wrong with the ACARS reporting or they hit a massive air pocket or an emergency descent was declared.David

>Now, let's see. AT 05:45 a 747 was at FL048 - bit high for>this type of a/c, isn't it? Then two minutes later it's at>FL024. That's a descent rate of 12,000 feet per minute :-lolActually the descent rate is 1,200 fpm :)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Guest ben_hewitt

FL048 is 4800ft and FL024 is 2400ft.FL480 is 48000ft :)

David,Different parts of the world have different laws on monitoring radio transmissions. There are free ACARS monitoring programs on the internet and they all have the disclaimer to not use them if it's illegal in your country or region of the country.It's fun connecting one or more of these decoders simultaneously on the internet and picking up aircraft transmissions that one could never hear locally. It's also a great way to build airline fleet registrations when making AI traffic schedules. I've been running an ACARS server at my home for the past year. When someone connects to it, there is a disclaimer that reception of the data may be illegal in their part of the world. I normally have 10 to 14 people connected at any time of the day. It's usually the same people, which leads me to think they are connected to multiple ACARS hosts and collecting their own database of data on their client software.Bruce

Cool link. It's been a while since I've decoded ACARS.Another fun one to decode is HFDL (HF ACARS).

Guest shanwick

>FL048 is 4800ft and FL024 is 2400ft.>>FL480 is 48000ft :)Looks like I did a whoopsie x( David