Sign in to follow this  
Carob

Terrain View Extension?

Hello.

I seem to remember a long time ago there was some adjustment that could be made to the fs9.cfg file, somewhere, that would allow the terrain to show crisper from a great distance than the default when flying at altitude.  Typically the terrain will look better the closer you get.  But, this adjustment, whatever it was, would allow the ground to look better at a greater distance.

Does anyone recall what I need to adjust to make this happen?

Thanks!

Try the settings below:

[DISPLAY]
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=24
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400 <--- this one is important
TextureMaxLoad=9
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR = 1.2     // 1 or 0.6=rather dim
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR = 1
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR = 1.0
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR = 1.0
WideViewAspect=True
TextureAGP=1

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=100.000000 <--- this one is important
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=1200.000000 <--- this one is important
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20 <--- <--- this one is important, can be set to 21
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS= 9.5 ///12.5 //9.5 //9.0 //10.5 //12.5  <--- this one is most mportant, any of the settings in this line will work
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS= 6.5 ///10.5 //6.5 //4.5 //6.5 //10.5 <--- you must change these parallel to the settings above i.e. 9.5 above and 6.5 below, or 12.5 above and 10.5 below etc.
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

Best,

Sascha

ALL of these have to do with that?  Surely that can't be right.  What does each one do?

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS= 9.5 ///12.5 //9.5 //9.0 //10.5 //12.5  <--- this one is most mportant, any of the settings in this line will work
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS= 6.5 ///10.5 //6.5 //4.5 //6.5 //10.5 <--- you must change these parallel to the settings above i.e. 9.5 above and 6.5 below, or 12.5 above and 10.5 below etc.

Only these ones have to do with more details in the distance I think, the other settings improve & sharpen graphics generally. Check Nick's tweak guide for a more detailed description of various tweaks. There are also some good threads on this here, just search for tweaks in the forum.

Cheers,

Sascha

Hello

I wonder if my problem is covered by this post.

when flying at hight (above FL30) particularly at night,particularly over water I see a lighter blue patch with straight triagular edges in the   distance, This area reduces as the A/C approaches but never disappears altogether. I remains larger the higher you go.

Can FS9 be persuaded to render the ground /sea textures to the horizon ?

Is it a "settings" issue,or perhaps lack of grunt from the graphics card (Geforce 9800GT 512mb vram)

I have a screenshot of the problem but I don't know how to insert one into this post !

Can anyone advise if this can be fixed.....it quite spoils the view ! 

Thanks in advance

David ireland UK

Hi David,

to post a screenshot you need to upload it to a site like image shack and then you can insert it in a post here by pressing the little picture icon in the post editor (one to the right from the link insert which is the little chain symbol). The image will show directly in the post.

What you have sounds like a rendering error. If it is all blue FS9 does not seem to draw any texture there at all.

Cheers,

Sascha