An idea I've been playing with is throwing fsx on an ssd external drive. By this I mean an internal ssd inside of an external case. Hoping to acheive faster load times and hence smoother play. Looking for anyone who actually runs this setup, if there is anyone.

#1- will this even work?

#2- will this bypass those stupid "administrator rights" pop ups. In other words can I just click run and go with things like REX or will I still have to deal with annoying passwords to function lol?

#3-what setups work and what doesn't?

#4-with this setup, could you use it on multiple computers (not at the same time) or will fsx not work because of registration key issues?

Amazon has some decent ssd's reasonably priced. External cases too. I want at least 228gb to have room for add-ons. I run 1 pmdg and many caronado aircraft. UTX and ORBX scenery. REX weather and textures. Nothing too crazy.

Thanks in advance.

Why would you not put it inside the system?  In my experience, you will never see quoted USB speeds with this, and would be miles faster connected internally via SATA

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Let's have a look at the numbers:

An SSD is capable of reading 6 gigabits per second

If you install it internally the SATA III bandwidth is the same 6 gigabits per second

If you use it externally with a USB 3.0  your maximum bandwidth is gigabits per second (not guaranteed though)

So -in theory- using an SSD through USB 3.0 would introduce a 17% performance loss (compared to SATA III) which is no THAT bad.

However, please remember this: that deep gap between practice and theory is full of "We're sorry"s.  :)