Sign in to follow this  
ceno

i5 4690k vs i7 (4790k)

Could someone please let me know, how is the difference between 4690k and i7, lets say 4790k?

I have a 4690k, a rather good CPU, what performance bump is expected in prepar3d with an i7?

Guess that AMD is out of the game in this range, why are they lagging so behind recently?

For FSX and overclocking, there is no difference between the CPUs. 

The K series is meant to overclock, so, bump up the speed of all 4 cores a little, but make sure you have a good CPU cooler.  I use the Noctura NH-C14 140mm x 2 SSO, TIM: GELID Solutions, TIM = GELID Solutions GC-Extreme, and Arcticlean [by Arctic Silver] to clean the old TIM or prep the use of GELID.  If you do not know how to overclock, just leave it alone.

I use a slightly overclocked Intel i5-3570K with an AMD R9 290 with a 5% overclock and FSX runs very well with almost everything cranked up very high.  Note, besides aircraft, the only add-on software I use is UTX and GEX by Flight1 Software.

For many years AMD has been lagging behind Intel in gaming performance.  What AMD did was to add cores, more overclocking abilities [at time of release], which could beat Intel in some non-gaming programs.

Simply put, AMD could not come up with better internal CPU [gaming] hardware than Intel, remember, Intel has a great deal of money to hire genius. 

To OP and with respect to Dan, in general I would disagree - you will see a performance advantage with the 4790k, so please do make sure you research in-sim benchmarks if buying.

There is no substitute for raw numbers and I have definitely seen favourable comparisons for the i7. Bang for buck may be another question entirely but the i7 is "only" £80 more (compare that with 5960 vs 5930 prices :D )

Aria have the 4790k for £215 on special offer at the moment

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427