Sign in to follow this  
nippa

Comparing to Flight 1 version

I've had the Flight 1 version for some years and as the PC12 is a favourite aircraft I thought I'd add Coronado's effort .

The original F1 PC12 annoyed me because some instruments were poorly lit at night and the panel does have a slight cartoonish look. Other than that it flies very well.

Well the Carenado version looks better from outside as we've come to expect.

The lighting effects are very good so night flying is no problem but as usual with Coronado the flight dynamics seem skittish.

After some tweaking of the pitch and roll it feels heavier and flies well enough.

Seemingly it has an accurate fuel burn which is something I always look for and achieved a slow high level ferry of over 2000nms against a normal long range of 1700nms.

It's early days so the only judgement I can make is that if you own the Flight 1 version don't expect the Carendo version to be much better.

It gets 8/10 from me.

How do they compare in a Flaps 40 landing?  The Carenado one seems nose down compared to a training video I have.  Might be that I need more training but, I'd like to know how they compare.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I actually finished my first approach at 40 degrees flap but from a steep angle and rapid descent.

With an early round out and touch of power to check descent I can't say that the landing was awkward or unusual.

I gather that flaps 40 is not a normal technique with this aircraft.

By and large I don't take Carenado too seriously for flight dynamics and I've 6 of their aircraft now!

I actually finished my first approach at 40 degrees flap but from a steep angle and rapid descent.
With an early round out and touch of power to check descent I can't say that the landing was awkward or unusual.

I gather that flaps 40 is not a normal technique with this aircraft.
By and large I don't take Carenado too seriously for flight dynamics and I've 6 of their aircraft now!

Maybe it's me then.  I usually find their FDEs better than the norm.  I still think their C337 is one of the best ever made and the Malibu Mirage is spot on the numbers.  Maybe I'll take another look at the video and see if I'm handling it differently. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I agree with you about the C337 it just feels right but the Malibu is one that feels all wrong!

The PC12s on the ILS at 90 kts with flaps 40 both the F1 and Carenado Models show a similar angle so my guess is that it's about right.

The Carenado looks better but the F1 model isn't beaten yet.

but the Malibu is one that feels all wrong!

Curious about what your perceptions are there.  The only thing I can think of that annoys me is that they modeled the version with aileron/rudder interlock.  As I understand it, some had it, some didn't...would might have preferred the other.  But slips work fine.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

Sorry just realised that it's the Malibu Jet Prop that I have not the Mirage.

Sorry just realised that it's the Malibu Jet Prop that I have not the Mirage.

Brrp...gack.  Never had a thing for that airplane.  World of difference.

Gregg Seipp