Sign in to follow this  
RickB1293

Anyone Elsa Lose The ND Magenta Line In Foul Weather?

i just completed another KBOS-EINN flight encountering the usual winter foul weather on approach to EINN. I had to hold for 15 minutes while the approach heading cleared - lots of red and magenta. I then had to manuever around several nasty cells and I'm afraid the guys in back won't be sending any attaboys my way. When I divert from the CDU/FMC flight path I usually reset the next waypoint in CDU by pressing LK1 twice then following the breadcrumbs to the waypoint when a clear path presents itself. In heavy weather the ND magenta flight path gets lost in the clutter. The vertical RNP/ANP has a few pixel window bordering it so the display is visible even in the worst weather - places a real world pilot probably wouldn't be. It would be relatively simple to program this change (aren't they all?) so is it something that PMDG would consider.

BTW, does anyone know what the real world ND display weather radar looks like and is PMDG's realistic?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It would be relatively simple to program this change (aren't they all?) so is it something that PMDG would consider.

If it's not on the real plane, I highly doubt it. The point of a weather radar is to avoid weather. You're going to be flying through the weather on your own with the radar and concerning yourself with following some track after picking your way through the cells.

If you can't see the magenta line, it's a good indication that you shouldn't be flying through there. If you really want to see the line in the bad cells, you can switch to WX only, instead of WX+T.

BTW, does anyone know what the real world ND display weather radar looks like and is PMDG's realistic?

Mirrors the real world Collins unit:

http://www.rockwellcollins.com/sitecore/content/Data/Products/Radar_and_Surveillance/Weather_Radar/WXR-2100_Weather_Radar_System.aspx

Thanks again Kyle. BTW, congrats on you new job with PMDG, they seem like a class act and their products are the best. I found the problem with the ND. I inadvertently cranked the gain all the way up. It's easy to do and I should check it when I reset tilt during changes in flight profile. It should been obvious because the weather outside didn't look as bad as the WX+T showed. Still learning I guess.