Sign in to follow this  
Tims Sim

Weather Effects

Hi,

I have a home cockpit and so what is happening at the wing tips and wheels is not really of interest, not meant as a criticism in anyway ^_^

However an improvement in the depiction of precipitation is interesting and long overdue.

As you know, the rain in P3D looks like a million white arrows falling from the sky and the snow flakes are the size of tennis balls! There is a tweak for the rain in P3D which makes some improvement.

My questions/suggestions are:

Is it possible to make the rain realistic i.e. when it rains in reality, you cannot really see the rain drops falling unless the rain is torrential or it is lit by a light source at night. Can this be reproduced?

Upon take off at night the rain effect from the cockpit is like a psychedelic light show, very unrealistic. If the 'whiteness' of the rain were to be reduced this would not be so much of a problem. Perhaps a means for the user to adjust the whiteness of the rain to a personal preference would work?

Snow ranges from large wet flakes (probably not the size of tennis balls) to a powdery type. Can this be reproduced?

Can the effect in this YouTube video be reproduced? www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbCi3yVLuvE

Keep up the good work!

Thanks

Dave

Hi,

I have a home cockpit and so what is happening at the wing tips and wheels is not really of interest, not meant as a criticism in anyway ^_^

However an improvement in the depiction of precipitation is interesting and long overdue.

As you know, the rain in P3D looks like a million white arrows falling from the sky and the snow flakes are the size of tennis balls! There is a tweak for the rain in P3D which makes some improvement.

My questions/suggestions are:

Is it possible to make the rain realistic i.e. when it rains in reality, you cannot really see the rain drops falling unless the rain is torrential or it is lit by a light source at night. Can this be reproduced?

Upon take off at night the rain effect from the cockpit is like a psychedelic light show, very unrealistic. If the 'whiteness' of the rain were to be reduced this would not be so much of a problem. Perhaps a means for the user to adjust the whiteness of the rain to a personal preference would work?

Snow ranges from large wet flakes (probably not the size of tennis balls) to a powdery type. Can this be reproduced?

Can the effect in this YouTube video be reproduced? www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbCi3yVLuvE

Keep up the good work!

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the late answer. We all have lives outside the hobby!

First of all, thank you for your question and comments. we really value those and I see that we share the same opinion on many things.

There is a multitude of limitations on this platform (ESP/FSX/P3D) that are very hard to overcome without affecting the performance. We are talking here about an 8 years old+ platform that hasn't been updated until recently. Lockheed did a great job updating the platform to what it is now with Prepar3D, but there is still so much to be done. We are working on ideas for making the rain and snow effects better on P3D, making them for FSX is a bit far fetched unless we find something revolutionary.

Until a future product emerges, thank you for your patience!

Keven

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Hi Keven,

No problem with taking time to reply, in fact thanks for doing so.

I guess I was putting forward a wish list as much as anything. I'll certainly keep an eye on developments.

Regards

Dave