Sign in to follow this  
BabtridgeMcJoystick

X-Plane occasional hitching

Great work, guys!!  Yes, even with SkyMaxx Pro (which is supposed to help framerates), my system is as fast as anything out there right now, and I'm getting slight pauses for loading.  I'm not running XP10 from an SSHD but it is on a super-fast 4TB drive with 64GB cache on SATA3 6.0GB cables which is nearly as fast.  I'm tied up trying to D/L the new v3 mesh, but I'll do some playing with cloud puff sizes and draw distances which are suspect.

That would be cool. Is skymaxx pro kind of the REX 4.0 for XPlane? 

Back on topic, I found this thread http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=82099&hl= over at the X-Plane forums, and it looks like the mod guy believes it to be an Nvidia drivers issue.

It can't be to do with drive speed, or at least I would very much hope not. I am running the Samsung 850 Pro which is meant to be the very fastest SSD you can buy without going up to M2 or whatever its called. Hopefully this will come down to NVidia putting out a new driver.

Sadly it seems that if you own a maxwell card you are out of luck, as the older, non-stuttering drivers are not usable with maxwell.

Try going back to the nVidia 337 vintage drivers and see what happens. Helped my 770.

John

Thanks for this John, looks like it may well be the culprit. Should be good for anyone not running maxwell, as I understand that you cannot get pre-344 drivers if you are on a 970 or 980.

That would be cool. Is skymaxx pro kind of the REX 4.0 for XPlane?

SkyMaxx Pro is essentially clouds and sky lighting.  It is said to help increase framerates but on my system I didn't notice one way or another.  The clouds are great, and you don't have to "slam the sliders" to get very realistic clouds.  I like it.

Yeah Skymaxx is well worth the money. I find it does give better framerates but mileage will vary from system to system.

It would be my guess (dangerous as it is...) that SkyMaxx would put more load on the GPU than the CPU.  What I do with both XP and SkyMaxx is to push sliders to see what the effects are, then pull them back one stop at a time to see if the "deterioration" or simplification is visible or distractable.  If there is not enough eye candy lost to make a difference, I always choose the lighter setting.  I don't fly the over-complicated big iron so maybe my framerates would approach undesirable levels, but I do fly some complex aircraft at high resolution settings with no problem, and I usually have a moving map program such as Plan-G running in the background which gives me more information than the default map in XP.  This doesn't seem to cause any framerate hit, and I have more than enough RAM to contain it.