Sign in to follow this  
ls25

I would like to improve ATC and flight planning

I want to get some ideas on how to improve both the flight planning and ATC. I find the FS9 flight planning to be OK, but would like to see if there is an add on product that makes an improvement in this area. Also, are there any products that improve the ATC?I would be willing to look at either freeware or payware products.Any suggestions?Thanks,jim

Guest dsflyer

Hi Jim., Radar Contact will improve ATC, its in a league of its own.

Hi Jim,I am an AOPA member and use their online flight planning service frequently. For simming FSBuild works very well and I also use it occasionally. For ATC I use VoxATC almost exclusively, you can find the review I posted on Avsim in January of this year. They also offer a demo of the software so you can try it out on your system before deciding to purchase.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest VApilot2004

Hello Jim,There is a solution to both issues - flight planning and more realistic and interactive ATC - VATSIM - and best of all it's freeWith the release of SquawkBox 3 and FSINN, online flying couldn't be easier - you can talk (yes voice comms - not text) to real-live ATC and see other FS9 users online with you as well. I have a more realistic flight every time I go online with them.Best of all it's all free . Have a look at www.vatsim.comCheers,KellyPS I will also use Golden Eagle Flight Prep (Free) (www.duats.com) made for real world navigation planning - but works great with Flight Sim for planning purposes. Also heard others really like FSBuild (payware) as already stated. If you really would like to pump up the realism - VATSIM is the way to go :)

Heya Jim,>There is a solution to both issues - flight planning and more>realistic and interactive ATC - VATSIM - and best of all it's>freeI could not agree more with what has been said there ^^.Vatsim is the best thing for (my) simming experience since finding the original FS & Falcon software.If you are capable of getting online during the weekend hours, there is a very large number of people online to control, and if you are on during the week, it is hit & miss.For the planning, FSBUILD hands down for your simming needs. If you fly real world, then there are limitless options, but they are all as good as the person telling you about them, as it is opinion.Either way, I would suggest you look up SB3, as it is much more software friendly, UI friendly with FSInn, and a blast to use. I rarely fly without online control anymore.Good luck in whatever you choose, hope it makes your sim that much better.

Guest almogo

Since it seems that Fsbuild is the unanimous winner in the flight planning dep. I was wondering how would you compare it to the free online planner at http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ ? Of course that it doesn't have any map functionality yet but it seems as a good and easy to use tool for just building the flight plans. I am not an expert and so can not comment on the quality of the flight plans that it generates. I'll be glad to your opinion about it.Oren

Heya Oren,I actually use both. I use FSBuild for converting the plans over to the many FS forms needed for all of the addons I run.It can convert the plan to a lot of different utilities all at once, instead of you having to manually type it into each once before your flight. My personal build settings (for FSBuild to export the plan I create to XX locations) are for: SB3, FSInn, LDS767, FS9 just in case I want to use their ATC, PSS A320, and every other addon I have but cannot think of atm.Other than that, FSBuild has a lot of features that are very nice to use for the realism feel, such as the ability to print off a plan sheet with all fuel loads/burn numbers, waypoint by waypoint wx, or times & ETAs with room for you to document ATAs.If you are interested in the program without having to pay first, go to http://www.fsbuild.com/ & check out the free version. It has less features, but I think it will give you a somewhat general idea of how the program works.I am sure others can give you a better idea of the program, but I hope this gets you started anyways.