Sign in to follow this  
Tenpin

Radar Contact Airport database

I am thinking of picking up this program but I'm wondering if Radar Contact will pull airport data from the Program Data Scenery.cfg or just uses ICAO's from AIRAC data such as what Navigraph provides. The reason I'm asking is I my major fliying is in GQA aircraft and usually departing a lager airport with a smaller airstrip destination.

Regards

Ken

Radar Contact uses the data that is created by the program MakeRwys which is available at Peter Dowsons Fsuipc forum

Go here to download it and read the documentation which will outline the data it pulls from the Sim, basically MakeRwys scans the scenery referenced in your Scenery.cfg along with the BGL's in the FSX \scenery folder to create a set of files with the data that Radar Contact uses.

Do buy Radar Contact, you will not regret that purchase.

thanks ronzie, I just did that.

Just DL RC. and  going to install.

Update fsuipc and makernwys after your install is complete to insure fsuipc and makerwys is not overwritten by the older versions in the install.

Just read through the docs of the latest MakeRwys and it seems you can specify an option on the command line /+T which will give RC the correct transition altitudes for most of the worlds airports.

Too cool, does Peter ever sleep ?

Thanlk you for the info. It is installed registered and now waiting for the Christmas scenario to play out so we can dive into that manual, err book:)

RC uses its own transition database. It is part of the safe altitude database file. It is not pulled from scenery. It can however be edited in for new airports. For example:

"EGLL,561,6000" is the EGLL line in file m4.csv in the data folder. The 561 is a calculated altitude used in determining the final approach intercept altitude. It is averaged from surrounding MSA quadrants and was obtained from a third party and is shown on the RC controller page. 6000 is the transition altitude.

When installing a new or moved airport in proximity to an established airport I add a line (in alphabetical ICAO order) using the same or approximate MSA value as the established airport.

Warning!!! Only open these .csv files in a text editor like wordpad and save in text mode.Formatting is critical.  Always keep a backup. Always backup in the main rcv4 or rcv4x folders a safe copy of rcv3.dat and keyboard.dat to avoid a reinstall. Keep a copy of you e-mailed registration key reply should you need to reinstall on the same non-reformatted HD volume. Keep a copy of your downloaded install file.

While on the subject, comm frequencies are also a fixed database f4.csv. To use pulled scenery frequencies you can replace f4.csv with the f4.csv created by makerwys in your FS folder. Alternately, you can edit in the new airport lines from your FS folder f4,csv into the rc data f4.csv file using a text editor. Again, formatting is critical so back up the original. (Frequencies modified on the controller page are NOT saved in RC).

New airports in m4.csv and f4.csv should be in ICAO alphabetical order.

Remember - back-up, back-up, back up.

These are not official modifications supported by jdtllc.com but I lisrt them for your convenience.