Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

PNG Tour #4 Port Moresby, Emo Mission, & Kokoda Track Bush Strips

PNG Tour #4  Port Moresby, Emo Mission, & Kokoda Track Bush Strips

The main event will start with a flight from Jacksons International Airport to the remote bush strip at Emo Mission across the Owen Stanley Range before proceeding to Kokoda.  We will be transporting supplies to Emo Mission and tourist trekkers who want to hike the Kokoda track.  For this leg I recommend a transport aircraft capable of carrying passengers/cargo and landing on the dirt strip at Emo Mission and Kokoda such as the DHC6 Twin Otter, Cessna Caravan, or other similar aircraft.

PNG%2BSW1.jpg

At Kokoda we will transition into aircraft suitable for delivery supplies and mail to the short, steep, and difficult bush strips along the Kokoda track.  While it is possible to land the Twin Otter / Caravan at some of the bush strips, it will be difficult to maneuver these larger aircraft once you have landed.  I recommend the Cessna 185 / Pilatus PC-6 Porter or similar.

2014-10-12_16-4-40-12.jpg

From Kokoda, follow the track into the mountains and keep your eye out for the Isurava Village with a helipad and the memorial. No landing strip here.  As you continue up the track look for a large open grassy area, the location of the Myola abandon runway and our first stop.  Once all have landed, take some time to review the map locations of the bush strips.  They can be difficult to find. Each participant should probably choose a different strip to start with as the area to turn around and taxi is extremely limited. Take the strips in any order you want but try to find and land at all of the following bush strips:

Laununu

Kagi

Efogi

Bodinumo

Timkenumo

Bordi

Milei

Manari

At each airstrip announce your successful landing and supply delivery. Once you have landed at your last bush strip, announce that you have completed your deliveries, then monitor radio traffic for the other pilot’s progress. When all pilots have completed their bush strip deliveries we will take off for the final leg back into Jackson's International and taxi to the domestic departures ramp for barbeque and beer.

Participation.

Time: Saturday January 10, 2015. 19:00 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

The digital flightplan (in FSX format) and a narrative is available from the DropBox location here. 

Please post your aircraft details in the MP spreadsheet so that we can see you in your true colors.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

In the absence of the now to be expected photos of our latest foray, (Missed you Roman) I shall now attempt to describe Saturday's flight.

Ahem.

It was very entertaining, not to say exciting. I set fire to both my Twin Otter's engines because I didn't throttle back even a tad! Of course I paid the price.  :(  Serves me right. Lots of "I can't see no freakin' airstrip" "Wait! I got one" "It's no good, I'm going around" and a load of

"Yay! I made it"s

We topped the evening off by getting Rob to commit to the Race. All in all, a successful evening. :BigGrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

We topped the evening off by getting Rob to commit to the Race. All in all, a successful evening.

Maybe you can work your skills on Flightsim.com and sim-outhouse.com to see if they can field teams. ;)

spacer.png

Maybe you can work your skills on Flightsim.com and sim-outhouse.com to see if they can field teams. ;)

Oh dear, does this look like a possibility? :(

not sure yet, they are working on it, last I heard, flightsim has about 6, sim-outhouse i am not sure, ive only seen a couple practicing but that just started recently.

What I do know is the exec committee is working on the special rules for the next race and hopefully the closer we get the more we will know regarding the other teams.

spacer.png

Well... Jeff offered a very generous benefits package AND a re-up bonus.  Tough to turn down.

i may be able to tempt 1 or 2 in if really needed!?

TJ_zpscc357935.png

So as it stands right now, AVSIM have 13 pilots, flightsim have 8 that have all signed up, SOH has no signup post but only 4 pilots have posted in their practice thread.  A little concerning. 

spacer.png

Hence why there was the idea floated of putting all names in a hat and divvy'ing up between teams.

Hence why there was the idea floated of putting all names in a hat and divvy'ing up between teams.

Er...Not too sure about that. No telling who you'd end up with.

Yeah Ron... I reckon why it went over like the proverbial lead balloon (at least what I remember when discussed on TS last race?).

ha, i'd be on whoever's best team though right?

TJ_zpscc357935.png