Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

peppy197

thinking of cross-grading from R290 to a 770/780

Clouds can severely reduce the fps in P3D with my R290 4G card

Would cross-grading/upgrading? to a GTX 770/4G be better in rendering regular fps?

P3D24 ONLY

P3D-v5x  RULES

Allen  Lavigne    in   Canada

27.jpg

Clouds can severely reduce the fps in P3D with my R290 4G card

Would cross-grading/upgrading? to a GTX 770/4G be better in rendering regular fps?

P3D24 ONLY

I think you might be better off thinking about a GTX970 to see any real improvement.

Most P3D users seem to have to use sparse grid transparency supersampling to avoid shimmers

and that can have a big negative effect on frame rates in clouds.

I have the R290 and I always thinks it does pretty well in clouds.

What settings are you using?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, GTX980Ti, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

yeah

I did mean to type 970 but got constiboutilated

<_<

I have the R290 and I always thinks it does pretty well in clouds.

What settings are you using?

gb.

Perhaps I was mistaken by the impact of the Carenado Citation II for which users are now reporting fps dips

yet my motive for asking was simply that many are insisting the GTX series to outperforms ATI in FSX/P3D significantly

So was considering...

P3D-v5x  RULES

27.jpg

yeah

I did mean to type 970 but got constiboutilated

<_<

Perhaps I was mistaken by the impact of the Carenado Citation II for which users are now reporting fps dips

yet my motive for asking was simply that many are insisting the GTX series to outperforms ATI in FSX/P3D significantly

So was considering...

If you are comparing in P3D, I wager a 290 and a GTX 780ti will run about the same at similar settings in identical tests. In FSX AA will be a bit sharper with nVidia using 4xSGSS versus ATI 4xSSAA.

Care to share your AA and AF settings?

Also another carenado plane that sucks in p3d is the B1900. In FSX I can lock at 40 fps running laps around KHQM in ORBX scenery. In P3D, 18 - 22.

If you make the switch, let us know if there was an improvement.

C.

If you are comparing in P3D, I wager a 290 and a GTX 780ti will run about the same at similar settings in identical tests. In FSX AA will be a bit sharper with nVidia using 4xSGSS versus ATI 4xSSAA.

Care to share your AA and AF settings?

Also another carenado plane that sucks in p3d is the B1900. In FSX I can lock at 40 fps running laps around KHQM in ORBX scenery. In P3D, 18 - 22.

If you make the switch, let us know if there was an improvement.

C.

AF 16

AA 2 and no more

P3D-v5x  RULES

27.jpg

AF 16

AA 2 and no more

Is that with supersampling?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, GTX980Ti, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Is that with supersampling?

gb.

without

P3D-v5x  RULES

27.jpg

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

18%
    $4,710.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now