Sign in to follow this  
teodp

737 Home Cockpit Avionics Compared to PC only simulators

Good day all,

Thank You for your precious help :-)

I had a chance to fly few Boeing 737 Home Cockpit Simulators in the past few days, and I would like to start talking about avionics, focusing on: AP behavoiur, PFD/ND logic and displays, Engine Parameters both in flight / start up.

I'm sure I used both ProSim 737 and Project Magenta (and maybe others that I don't know...)

I understand it's impossible to create a Level-D simulator, but I find PMDG NGX or IFLY to be a lot closer to the real aircraft than the software used in the home cockpit's sims.

So here are my questions:

- Which is the best avionic suite in terms of fidelity to the real aircraft which can be used in a 737 Home Cockpit ?

- Is there any chance to let PMDG NGX manages avionics and systems in an home cockpit?

Thank you !

Matteo Tonon

What kind of home simulator are we talking about here? Do you plan to use the NGX in your own cockpit?  I know it is difficult to get every single switch and button to interface to the 737ngx, but the avionics are really just drag and drop to a different monitor (given that the avionics screens are running on the same pc as the sim)  If they are not, I think you should still go with the avionics packages.  I recommend Prosim.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your reply. :-)

Together with a few friends we were thinking about building a 737 cockpit, and we are curious to know which is the most accurate software today for an home cockpit.

As said we tried ProSim and PM and both are less accurate than PMDG NGX.. If your consider the start up sequence and the correlated engine parameters, we found weird numbers on all the home cockpits we tried, but if you look at the PMDG NGX start up sequence it's pretty accurate and realistic.

Thanks !

I don't know much else about home cockpit systems, but there are many other people on the forum who can help.  Anyone?

I went into great depth with Peter Cos of Flight Deck Solutions for a full motion 737. If I go in that direction, that would be my choice. However, having also discussed a full motion 747, they may not be able to cater for my requirements. I am currently setting out plans for a full 747 from one of the major suppliers to the airlines. It is for private use and not available as a commercial paying simulator.

Regards

Sauviat

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

Together with a few friends we were thinking about building a 737 cockpit, and we are curious to know which is the most accurate software today for an home cockpit.
iFly has a cockpit builders version of it's 737. Very comparable to the NGX in depth without the visual eye candy. If I were building a home cockpit, that would be my choice.

James McLees

FDS recommend against the NGX for this purpose (if Im not mistaken) as it's not designed for home cockpit building purposes. I know it's tempting to try and use the NGX because we all love it - but it's built for a different purpose. The PMDG guys don't fly with fancy hardware, the last thread I remember (was a while back) said the most adavnced they got was RSR's HOTAS Warthog.

Having said that, back in my pre-P3D days I did build a simple home cockpit based around the NGX using Linda for some of the controls and Goflight gear via FSUIPC for the rest. Had two ipads for display solutions, I wouldn't say that I can output a realistic 737 display on that but hey, no frame rate hit.

The setup could take me from cold and dark to flight to landing without using a mouse - except for FMC which i still did that way (now Id use virtualcdu on the ipad).

Have been having a long layoff from the NGX since P3D v1 came out - so cockpit hardware has been gatghering dust. MIght be time to get it going again now that I'm back flying the NGX (now in P3D as of a few days ago :)

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Hi all, thank you for your replays !!

I'll check Sim Avionics, I've never heard of it since now ;)

Because I'm from Italy, I've heard in Padova-Italy there is a chance to buy a ready to fly fixed-based 737 simulator.

Their website (not sure if i can post it here) is

Flightsimulatorcenter dot com .

I doubt any of you tried their simulator, but it looks like they compose it using products from other companies... It seems interesting even if expensive...!