Sign in to follow this  
ilovetofly

Couple of questions

As never having installed FSX, even though I have owned the boxed version for some time, I decided to try out the SE version and downloaded it on Jan. 2 2015. Then after a few days I uninstalled it. Today I reinstalled SE and want to work with it. So I have a couple (for now) of questions.

I'm aware that SE has been updated and I checked the cfg file and it shows an updated file as of todays date. So I believe that all the recent changes by STEAM are now included in this latest download. Correct?

Since the FSX SE tree does not appear in my computer, is there a way to access the different folders as I was able to do with FS9? In some cases, some add-on effects in FS9 instructed me to add the folder or the effect into the 'effects' folder of FS, or in regard to modules, to install a module into the 'modules' folder of FS9. How is that to be done if required for SE? Or is that now obsolete? Does SE install everything to the proper location since there is no way that I am aware of to view those files in the FSX file folders?

I may have more questions in a few days, but this is sufficient for a start. Thanks for the information.

I did do a search here but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, and most of the info posted was related to issues before the new updates were recently released.

Jim D.

I'm aware that SE has been updated and I checked the cfg file and it shows an updated file as of todays date. So I believe that all the recent changes by STEAM are now included in this latest download. Correct?

You will have the latest release, 62608, made in January. The very latest, with the G3D and Terrain crashes fixed, is build 62610, and I think you only get that if you opt in for it -- it's in "open beta" stage, which means it isn't a formal release but you can try it "at your own risk". 

You can see which version it is on the FSX-SE splash screen when it starts, look bottom right.

Since the FSX SE tree does not appear in my computer, is there a way to access the different folders

All the usual FS folder are there, in Steam\SteamApps\Common\FSX.

Incidentally, FSX never had a Modules folder of its own, it is created automatically by the installers of programs like FSUIPC4, which need it.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Thanks Pete for your reply.

As to question 1, I have the Jan release version. Very difficult to see the number on the splash screen. How does one find the "beta" version and download it?

Question 2; My FSX file @ Program files (x86)\Steam/SteamApps folder doesn't contain the 'COMMON' folder. Mine reads C:Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods  and a 'libraryfolders.vdf

Thanks for any more help.

Jim D.

p.s. I'll be getting FSUIPC as I have it for FS9 and couldn't do without it.

As to question 1, I have the Jan release version. Very difficult to see the number on the splash screen. How does one find the "beta" version and download it?

Not sure. I got it when it was a closed Beta, not "Open", but I suspect you right click on where it says Microsoft Flight Simulator, top left in the Steam window, select "Properties", then the BETAS tab. I think the process then should be obvious.

Question 2; My FSX file @ Program files (x86)\Steam/SteamApps folder doesn't contain the 'COMMON' folder. Mine reads C:Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods  and a 'libraryfolders.vdf

Er ... I have no idea, then. I have Steam installed on two PCs an in both cases the Stream\SteamApps folder contains these 4 subfolders:

common

downloading

sourcemods

temp

So what's happened on your system? Maybe some folders are hidden -- one of the problems of letting Steam install into Program files (x86) is that the folders are then all protected from you! I have my Steam installed in drive E: as E:\Steam ...

You might see more by running Windows Explorer in Admin mode (right click, run as ...).

Anyway, why not use Windows search, search for "FSX.EXE"?

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Thanks again Pete. I found it. I did originally install it to another drive and found it here: D:Steamlibrary\Steamapps\Common\FSX.

I only have three folders there, common, downloading, temp and a appmanifest_314160.acf whatever that is.

Headed off to work but will check back shortly.

Jim D.

I'm attempting to install the BETA update but can't find it. Instructions are: Open Steam, Open library tab, FSX, Properties, etc. Problem is I open Steam which loads my FSX library page. After that I cannot find anything for selecting the BETA update. Please, I need better directions or a direct link to the update.

Thanks,

Jim D.

Directions could be clearer. When clicking on the Library tab, RIGHT click on Flightsimulator X and then it is no sweat to download the BETA. Just get the code from Steam Forum site.

Jim D.