Sign in to follow this  
Victoroos

Autopilot DISC button

Wow. there is a lot more to autoland then I thought.. I guess I have to go back in to the books now ? :D

Victor Roos

Yes there is a key assignment for this. It's in the CDU options pages. First press disconnects the autopilot second press cancels the warning indications. As for when to disengage the answer is easy. When you are ready to take over manual control.

I have a button on the yoke that I use for that, which is set in the FSX menu itself, and works for any plane. First click to disengage, and the second click to turn off the warning. It may also be set in the NGX CDU menu, but I don't think it is offhand.. I'd have to check to see if it is. ?? Mine is mainly set through the FSX "buttons" menu. And I think one could also set a keyboard disconnect in the same menu, which would also work for any plane. Even with the FSX control menu button setting, I have to double click if I want to cancel the warning with the NGX.

I have a button on the yoke that I use for that, which is set in the FSX menu itself, and works for any plane. First click to disengage, and the second click to turn off the warning. It may also be set in the NGX CDU menu, but I don't think it is offhand.. I'd have to check to see if it is. ?? Mine is mainly set through the FSX "buttons" menu. And I think one could also set a keyboard disconnect in the same menu, which would also work for any plane. Even with the FSX control menu button setting, I have to double click if I want to cancel the warning with the NGX.

The only FSX assignment I know of is the AP master on/off (default Z). That won't work with the NGX. The first press disengages the AP and starts the disengage warning. The second press reengages the AP (which of course silences the warning). So you are back where you started.

ki9cAAb.jpg

The only FSX assignment I know of is the AP master on/off (default Z). That won't work with the NGX. The first press disengages the AP and starts the disengage warning. The second press reengages the AP (which of course silences the warning). So you are back where you started.

Hummm.. Mine works as normal, and the second click does not reengage the AP.. Or at least on

the NGX.. It might do that on other planes, but being I rarely fly any other jets these days, so not sure..

But the NGX works as it should on mine. Maybe there is also something set in the CDU menu, but

I know I don't have any keypad entries for that other than the default FSX "Z".. Not sure how that one works, as I only use the button on the yoke. I never use the "Z" key.

Hummm.. Mine works as normal, and the second click does not reengage the AP.. Or at least on

the NGX.. It might do that on other planes, but being I rarely fly any other jets these days, so not sure..

But the NGX works as it should on mine. Maybe there is also something set in the CDU menu, but

I know I don't have any keypad entries for that other than the default FSX "Z".. Not sure how that one works, as I only use the button on the yoke. I never use the "Z" key.

It shouldn't work any different using a key or a joystick button assigned to the same thing. If it works for you, fine. But it's not meant to work like that in a complex AP like the NGX.

I can see how it might work if you have realistic AP engagement selected and you are moving the controls when you press again to cancel the warning. That would prevent the AP engaging again. But why not use the AP disconnect control PMDG provide in their menu to be both more realistic and absolutely sure it worked correctly?

ki9cAAb.jpg

Make sure you're setting the A/P DISCONNECT function, specifically. This setting will be on the last of all the A/P and A/T function pages.

Kyle Rodgers

Make sure you're setting the A/P DISCONNECT function, specifically. This setting will be on the last of all the A/P and A/T function pages.

I'll look at that on mine to see if it's checked, but mine works as it should be. No problems.

It may well be checked, and I've never really noticed, being I set the button function in the

FSX controls menu. Mine does not reengage on the second click. It cancels the warning as

it should be doing. Now that I think about it, there may be separate 'engage" and "disengage"

control options in the FSX control menu. Maybe I don't have "engage" set in FSX controls..?

I only use the actual buttons on the MCP to engage, not the button on the yoke I use to

disengage.

It shouldn't work any different using a key or a joystick button assigned to the same thing. If it works for you, fine. But it's not meant to work like that in a complex AP like the NGX.

I can see how it might work if you have realistic AP engagement selected and you are moving the controls when you press again to cancel the warning. That would prevent the AP engaging again. But why not use the AP disconnect control PMDG provide in their menu to be both more realistic and absolutely sure it worked correctly?

I do have "realistic AP engage" selected.. Maybe that is why mine does not reengage on the second click.  As far as why I don't use the PMDG control, I never even thought about it, being as mine works as it should be, in a realistic manner. And I'm absolutely sure it works correctly as I almost always land manual, and would have noticed it by now if it didn't. Like I said to Kyle, the FSX menu may also have separate engage and disengage options also.. Maybe my FSX engage is not used by my normal disengage button..?? I don't use a button or the keyboard to engage. I always use the MCP buttons.

Also, as far as the realistic AP engage, it still works even if I'm not moving the controls.

third edit..

I just fired up the sim and tested it, sitting on the ground, and not touching the yoke.

It works perfectly normal as far as disconnect.. My yoke button will not engage the NGX

AP at all. Only key "Z" will. Now if I engage the AP and use key Z to disconnect, yes,

it does not work correctly, and the second "Z" hit will reengage the AP.

But my yoke button will not engage the NGX AP, and thus does not have this problem.

It will let me use a second hit, and cancel the warning without reengaging.

I checked the CDU menu, and I have nothing at all entered there. It's blank..

BTW, as far as FSX controls, I have both Z key and a button entered as autopilot

"master".  Out of curiosity, I tried a fsx default plane, and with the Lear 45, both

my Z key, and my button will engage and disengage the AP in the same manner.

But for some reason, the NGX does not recognize the button for engage, but only

for disengage. So.. being it works realistically as I want it to, if it ain't broke, I'm not

going to try to fix it.   :rolleyes: 

I'll look at that on mine to see if it's checked, but mine works as it should be. No problems.

It may well be checked, and I've never really noticed, being I set the button function in the

FSX controls menu. Mine does not reengage on the second click. It cancels the warning as

it should be doing. Now that I think about it, there may be separate 'engage" and "disengage"

control options in the FSX control menu. Maybe I don't have "engage" set in FSX controls..?

I only use the actual buttons on the MCP to engage, not the button on the yoke I use to

disengage.

I do have "realistic AP engage" selected.. Maybe that is why mine does not reengage on the second click. As far as why I don't use the PMDG control, I never even thought about it, being as mine works as it should be, in a realistic manner. And I'm absolutely sure it works correctly as I almost always land manual, and would have noticed it by now if it didn't. Like I said to Kyle, the FSX menu may also have separate engage and disengage options also.. Maybe my FSX engage is not used by my normal disengage button..?? I don't use a button or the keyboard to engage. I always use the MCP buttons.

Also, as far as the realistic AP engage, it still works even if I'm not moving the controls.

I think it might be good to review the term "disengage."

If the button is an AP disengage switch, it has one job and the function is not like a light switch (ON/OFF), it's more like the STOP switch in the J41: its only purpose is to kill the AP.

Kyle Rodgers

Well, as far as the realistic AP engage, that is only to let the AP not engage if there is pressure

on the yoke. Which I want to work as real world, and I do have selected.

But that has nothing to do with my AP switching. I'm using two separate controls within FSX to control the AP "master" switch. With default planes, both act the same, and both will engage and disengage the same.

But for some reason, "which is good", the NGX only recognizes the button for disengage, and not for engage of the AP. The NGX recognizes "Z" for both, and if I were to use it, it would not function correctly. But, I never use "Z" for AP.. I use the MCP buttons on the panel to engage, and the yoke button to disengage.  Works out great.  B)

But for some reason, "which is good", the NGX only recognizes the button for disengage, and not for engage of the AP.

Again...

Please go back to the earlier posts and have a look at your statement versus the option in the FMC. The option we give you is AP DISCONNECT. Its sole purpose is to turn the AP OFF.

It's not a happy accident that the button only recognizes the command to turn it off.

Kyle Rodgers

Whatever... I just know everything is working as it should, even though I've never actually

selected that option in the FMC menu, and in FSX controls, it's not set specifically as a

disconnect switch, as they don't give that option. So the NGX is using it as you describe even

though I never selected that option in the FMC. In all other planes, that button is an "on and off"

master AP switch same as "Z". It's not specifically a "disconnect" switch in FSX as I had earlier

speculated. It's an alternate  button command for the "Z" AP master switch.

So being I've never selected the "AP disconnect" option in the FMC, it is a bit of a happy accident that it is working as one, wouldn't you say?

It's never been an issue to me. The only reason I tried to explain it, is Kevinh had trouble believing it could be working in a realistic manner when I've never selected that option in the FMC. But for whatever reason, it is.