Sign in to follow this  
Luc Brusselmans

reinstalling Windows 7

hello,

I have a really simple question.

After 4 yearsor so, I am about to build a new system. I have selected the components, I have the money in the bank and so I thought I was ready to go.

Until last night I read an article that made me wonder...

I have a Windows 7 64bit home premium DVD in my drawer that I have used to build my current system with. I checked the DVD last night and it is an OEM version.

Now I am wondering, can I use that same DVD to (re)install windows 7 on my new system? My guess is that installing it will probably be not the problem. Getting it activated is what is bothering me.

I want to stay away from windows 8 or 8.1 for the moment. My local shop has still some copies of windows 7 but if at all possible I want to reserve that bit of cash for some new addon's if at all possible.

Kind regards

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

Luc

I did the same as you are proposing last year. I bought a "barebones" bundle, added a video card; hard drive; optical drive. I had the win7 64 home premium OEM cd from my previous purchase that came with the OS already installed.

I had no problem installing the OS from the CD and the activation process went through without a problem. As long as you have the registration code you should be good to go.

Peter Schluter