Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Dreier

HGS tutorials?

Does anyone know of a good HGS/HUD tutorial? I've looked on the Internet, uTube, etc. but haven't found one that explains the various settings in the top portion of the HGS panel in the radio stack.

Thanks.

Does anyone know of a good HGS/HUD tutorial? I've looked on the Internet, uTube, etc. but haven't found one that explains the various settings in the top portion of the HGS panel in the radio stack.

Hey Chuck - I believe Tutorial 2 covers a good portion of the functions if you haven't looked there yet (it actually covers a bunch of them, counter-intuitively, before even taking off out of Amsterdam).

Kyle Rodgers

The FCOM does a real good job  of describing every symbol used in the HGS display.  It just takes practice to put the knowledge to practical use.  I usually prefer to disable automatic AIII and use the PRI display for my manual approaches (as I believe it's intended).  I could be wrong there, but the FCOM says the AIII display is for autoland and since I seldom do that (unless it's CATIII conditions) I like more information not less.

Dan Downs KCRP

Kyle,

After getting your response I occurred to me that the tutorials I had could be old.  I keep them on my IPad, and found they were SP1c.  I found the current Tutorial 2 but didn't see much other than pg. 122.  However, I found what I needed in the Flight Crew Operations Manual, pg. 673.  I'm updating all the PMDG documentation on the IPad.  Thanks.

Chuck