Sign in to follow this  
el_kab0ng

Ground sticky on take off?

I try to follow the performance tables as close as possible, but it's like there's some ground stickiness at play when I am doing take offs. I feel the nose rise a little, but then it takes full force on the yoke to get the bird into the air. Take off finally happens a little after V2, so I'm not sure if there's some flight dynamics causing issues or maybe the tables are off some how. Is anyone else experiencing this sort of issue?

Yep its classic Carenado behaviour. A lot of their airplanes have this issue. Yes it's an FDE issue, can be corrected if someone is well versed with developing the aerodynamics side of the air file.

I have found a work around is to add +10kts to the VR speeds (which usually compensates for wind anyway). It's a faster take off, but at least the wheels get off the tarmac without much straining on the yoke.

Actually, an unusual flying characteristic of the Hawker (as reported by J. Mac McClellan, Flying Magazine) is, "at rotation the ram's horn control yoke feels as though it were connected to the elevator by rubber bands.  At Vr speed you haul way back on the yoke and for an instant, nothing happens, then in a second or two the nose rotates smoothly.  As the nose comes up you release back pressure, from then on all control inputs generate a natural smooth and precise response.  The Hawker is not a finger tip flyer, but it is easy to fly smoothly".  In my experience flying the Carenado version, they seem to have modeled this unique Hawker flight dynamic reasonably accurate.