Sign in to follow this  
houstonhear

Weather radar using FSI

Hi, Stephen:

Is there any chance of you contacting this developer to see how to generate the file that he needs for his weather radar guage?  Apparently ASN generates a file that he loads.  His program will not work with FSI.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/459050-another-radar-gauge-for-vc-window-usage/

This looks like a really neat radar guage that he has developed.  It would be great if all of us FSI users could take advantage of it.

Thanks

No sorry, as we do not have access to any wx radar (cloud state) data, it's not data that is held within the weather engine. Nor do we have any plans to develop another wx radar add on as there are already ad dons for this. The cloud state data has to be extracted from within the memory map of the sim, it is not dependent on the source of the weather or weather engine. When LM fix the faulty RequestCloudState SimConnect function then we will implement it for P3D. They promised some time ago they would correct it.

Stephen :-)

There is a way you can use ASN with the highly detailed OpusFSI weather ...

Firstly, wx radar cloud state data is totally independent of the weather source so there is no reason why AS should prevent a different source of weather provided they can validate that it's being used as a licensed copy. So you should be able to disable the AS weather after validation.

Recommended procedure for the latest ASN releases ...

Wx Radar (obtained from any addon or aircraft sim) is TOTALLY independent of the actual source of weather or the weather engine injecting the weather. It's generated purely from the internal cloud state data combined with the cloud's precipitation data.

With the latest version of ASN, if you want the detailed and real world OpusFSI Live Weather, want to enjoy your OpusFSI World Weather Themes, or any other source of weather for that matter you can overcome the interfering effect of the active ASN weather engine with the following simple procedure.

1. Start ASN, allow it to validate its licence and enable its WX Radar feature.

2. Open the Windows Task Manager.

3. Highlight the ASN process and click on the End Process option.

4. Start FSISERVER and update its weather in the usual manner.

The previous versions of ASN didn't attempt to kill their Wx Radar data feature for users not wanting to use their weather engine, so the above only applies to their latest upgrade. In previous versions you shouldn't run the ASN program at all, just install their bootstrap dll.

Hopefully AS will soon provide an option to disable their weather injection (as we do). This will then allow people to purchase ASN and make use of their textures and Wx radar features whilst still having the free choice of what source of weather they want to fly in.

As a further precaution, I would advise, if you wish to use OpusFSI Live Weather (or any other source of weather injection for that matter including static themes) I would advise you to take a copy of this latest ASN version. That way you can always restore it should an update try and spoil things for you.

As you know we have always encouraged people to purchase a copy of ASN if they wish to enjoy their Wx Radar feature. Nothing has changed with this latest update although it would have been better if the above procedure was unnecessary each time users want to enjoy a different source of weather.

Stephen :-)

Hi, Stephen:

Is there any chance of you contacting this developer to see how to generate the file that he needs for his weather radar guage?  Apparently ASN generates a file that he loads.  His program will not work with FSI.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/459050-another-radar-gauge-for-vc-window-usage/

Actually my radar gauge does not read some weather file, but use the ASN API through their DLL. Really more efficient that exchanging data from files :P

It's a function call / callback mechanism.

Anyway, it's good to see a workaround to use any weather engine and keep ASN radar function :Applause: if someone want to.

Cheers

EDIT: The last P3D patch is supposed to embed the fixed "CloudRequestState" function. However I've read quickly in the past the SDK description, it provides the cloud coverage, but not the precipitation coverage, so not very useful to develop a radar I guess...

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

Thanks for the feedback from both of you.

Obviously, what I was hoping for was to be able to use Roland's weather radar without purchasing ASN.  But, if I am reading everything correctly, it looks like there is no way around that.

Looks like they have it for a 30% discount, so guess I need to bite the bullet. . .