Sign in to follow this  
Jimm

Windows 7/8/8.1 Holdouts

Good Morning All,

I received an email this morning from PCWorld, who had an article published with a title similar to my post.  The article can be found here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2952888/windows/windows-7-holdouts-why-diehard-users-refuse-to-move-to-windows-10.html#tk.nl_pcwbest

Given the feedback so far on Windows 10 and the information published in the article, I'd really love to hear from the developers of flight sim software to give some insight into what they think will happen years from now as far as support for legacy OS.  For example, if I vehemently refused to install Windows 10 now, given that Microsoft will support Windows 7 (security patches) up to 2020, and I wait until that year, would I be safe in buying and installing new FSX/P3D addons developed over the course of 5 years, or will the developers start changing their coding to suit only the latest OS.

Right now, my personal stance on Win10 is to wait a little while until the smoke clears over the issues that are appearing right now.  I know there is some pressure in the wings, so to speak, that a year from now, the ability to upgrade for free will disappear.  Say I wait after that, meaning that I would have to pay for the OS, and just putt putt along with Windows 7, would it be fair to say that I could still enjoy the newer add-ons to be released.

Maybe I am thinking to far ahead, but given the issues that have come up, they don't sound good to me and cause even more headaches to get a given sim to operate correctly.

Thank you.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Say I wait after that, meaning that I would have to pay for the OS, and just putt putt along with Windows 7, would it be fair to say that I could still enjoy the newer add-ons to be released.

Just upgrade once, and go back to Windows 7. I believe your key will be registered with W10 if you do.

Yeah I know and that is what is really keeping me from upgrading right now.  I think with a lot of the fallout going on with Windows 10, I've put up a little more caution.  My OP was more or less a question of whether people who hold out, will wind up missing out on anything later that may only be for Windows 10 and whatever version of sim is going on in the future.

Maybe my question really doesn't have validity right now as it may be too soon to tell, but there may also be devs out there thinking about the future of simming with Windows 10 running the show.

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Win 10 will eventually be the only kid in town. Only time will tell if he's a good kid, doing his chores and looking after his grandparents or a troublemaker always getting into scrapes and generally being a burden on the community.

For simmers, we'll find out when DX12 rolls out.

But only simmers for X-Plane and P3D. 

FSX'ers will have to gawp from the sidelines  :P

Sounds like a fair deal, unless Dovetail happens to make a deal with the devil to update FSX. :)

-Jim

Sounds like a fair deal, unless Dovetail happens to make a deal with the devil to update FSX. :)

-Jim

Dovetail has already confirmed W10 compatibility with FSX:SE.