Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Need help to get FSX to see scenery drive again

FSX is for some reason not finding a hard drive where I have a lot of photo real scenery. The link(s) likely got messed up after I rebooted into my Windows 10 system drive and started FSX without establishing the scenery drive as K:, which is what it is under my Windows 7 system.  I believe the Windows 10 system saw the drive as G:

FSX starts to load textures but hangs at 0%.  If I pull that scenery drive from the system, reboot, and start FSX again I get "can't find scenery" errors when starting FSX, but once I run click through those and get FSX up and running it does fine. No issues, but of course all I get are the default scenery and my freeware addon scenery.  So it is clearly an issue between FSX and that drive.  

I did a deep chkdsk on the drive and it checks out. I can navigate throughout the drive with file manager, so the drive is not bad.  I used SceneryConfigEditor v1.1.2 to look at the situation and it was showing those scenery areas as errors, invalid path or something like that. But now that I have the drive nailed back to K: the SceneryConfigEditor v1.1.2 sees them on K: and no longer reports errors. Oh, and prior to that I had restored the scenery.cfg file from a week old backup.  I flew FSX without issues as late as yesterday afternoon.

Anyone familiar with how to fix an issue like this?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Got it figured out! Deleted the scenery indexes and forced FSX to rebuild them. Whew!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere