Sign in to follow this  
AnkH

Infowindow about FSX.cfg changes

Hi all,

I have a minor issue with SIMStarter: each time I start SIMStarter after a complete shutdown, it opens a window giving me a growing list of things changed in FSX.cfg and whether or not I would like to include those changes into my profiles. BUT: the list even shows things I certainly never changed inside my FSX.cfg and it also constantly grows. Furthermore, after the first start of FSX, the window does not show up until I did again a complete reboot.

What is it? Do I miss some settings? Are my paths not properly set? Could I disable this informal window completely (not recommended, I would miss the "real" changes)?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

First of all "it's not a bug - it's a feature" and called "Diff Manager"... ;O)

Let me give you some background regarding this window:

SIMstarter is handling a copy of your fsx.cfg / prepar3d.cfg which we will rebuild each time you are using a profile. If SIMstarter would simple overwrite the existing file we would never be notified regarding changes from third party software or changes that you did within the simulator. Should be useful for all of us. ;O)

When does the window appear?

If any a line of your "real" fsx.cfg is not included in that Masterprofile or in another profile it would be shown as "Found new changes". Because it is not part of one of your configuration profiles.

How to avoid this window at changes that have been done by your simulator during flight?

You can simple "Ignore changes" if you are sure that you dont want to be notified by such change. You can "check" these items and click "Add to ignore list". You can simply review the ignore list and unignore items by clicking "Tools" > "Diff Manager".

In reality this windows appears very seldom. I added some lines to the ignore list.

I hope that helps. Otherwise we could have a small Skype Chat or call - if needed.

: : : aviation.pero-online.de
Developer of SIMstarter NG P3D & Homecockpit Builder

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I will try to get the things sorted, as I now did run into troubles with W10 (not related to SIMStarter) and it looks that I need to rebuild my FSX.cfg etc., which would then anyway drive the SIMStarter crazy... Do you have by chance an advice how to circumvent a de-installation and re-installation of SIMStarter when I have to rebuild the FSX.cfg? Might be better to start from scratch as well regarding SIMStarter, no?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I will try to get the things sorted, as I now did run into troubles with W10 (not related to SIMStarter) and it looks that I need to rebuild my FSX.cfg etc., which would then anyway drive the SIMStarter crazy...

No problem, you are welcome!

[...] Do you have by chance an advice how to circumvent a de-installation and re-installation of SIMStarter when I have to rebuild the FSX.cfg? Might be better to start from scratch as well regarding SIMStarter, no?

Yes for sure:

1) Backup and delete <YOUR SIMstarter folder>\Userprofiles folder

2) Configure your sim without using SIMstarter

3) Once you start SIMstarter again, he will import your current config from the sim

Happy landings - I hope you will be fine with Win10.

: : : aviation.pero-online.de
Developer of SIMstarter NG P3D & Homecockpit Builder

Ok, wonderful. Thanks again for your help!

Greetings, Chris