Sign in to follow this  
BrettT

RAM Speed Question

Hi,

I have a question about RAM in general and how it applies to most flight sims.  In particular how the RAM speed and timing relates to overall performance.

Presently I have an ASUS Z97-AR board with supports standard RAM up to 1600MHz and OC RAM up to 3200MHz.  It is presently paired with 16GB of 1600MHz RAM CL8.

In looking around at other RAM available I notice the majority of the faster RAM (2133, 2400 etc) comes with higher clock time....CL of 11 or so.  Would there be any significant benefit to going to a faster RAM if is CL is higher?  Seems like the it would take longer to access it but once it was accessed the data would transfer faster but if you spent more time accessing it then the faster speed RAM basically becomes less effective.

Just trying to wrap my head around this.

Thanks,

Brett

When it come to Haswell speed is important, you not gain much from cl8-cl6.

Did a test with a set 1866 cl6-6-6 tons of dramvoltage , 2666 cl10 was faster.

you have a latency in the memcontroller, i dont now how much impact it have .

But Haswell like memspeed 2400 cl 9-10 is good base, i run 2800 cl9 24/7 at 1.7v.

If you think thats hi, the samsung mem chip and memcontroller have no problem with it.

id a test with a set 1866 cl6-6-6 tons of dramvoltage , 2666 cl10 was faster.

Not a big surprise as 1866MHz CL6 equals a transfer rate of 29.8GB/s at 6.4ns latency while 2666MHz CL10 equals a transfer rate of 42.6GB/s (+43%) at 7.5ns (-14%). So, even though 1866 CL6 is very fast regarding the latency, the huge increase in transfer rate at 2666MHz overcompensates the slightly slower latency easily.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS