Sign in to follow this  
FlyBaby

Help with installing W2XP_America

Thanks for your help.

I have 8G of Ram.

The initial run showed "Unable to resume: OSM file is different is from source used to generate"

I then downloaded the latest World-Models.

Now the process just hangs at "First Pass" message; I can still see the memory meter moving and the created file is about 110mb after about 30 minutes and remains the same size after about 18 hours. 

Can you try deleting the folder called DB? That will likely get rid of the Unable to resume error.

As for the hanging, well it's possible it's hitting the 8GB of RAM limit and hanging quietly or doing lots of swapping. I've been able to generate it with 16GB of RAM, but we've now almost certainly hit the limit of what is possible without actually using a database (Which I had to use for GB Pro and others).

Maybe a suggestion, you can try just generating one state at a time. Just make sure you download both the state, and the .poly file, and after you've generated it, make sure you place it above the Simheaven scenery in priority. You'll also be able to generate most countries much faster this way.

Can you try deleting the folder called DB? That will likely get rid of the Unable to resume error.

As for the hanging, well it's possible it's hitting the 8GB of RAM limit and hanging quietly or doing lots of swapping. I've been able to generate it with 16GB of RAM, but we've now almost certainly hit the limit of what is possible without actually using a database (Which I had to use for GB Pro and others).

Maybe a suggestion, you can try just generating one state at a time. Just make sure you download both the state, and the .poly file, and after you've generated it, make sure you place it above the Simheaven scenery in priority. You'll also be able to generate most countries much faster this way.

Thanks for your help...

I am trying the files by state, but I do not know how to save/format the .poly files. The file opens is my browser and I tried to save it in a text format with (.poly) extension. Saving it from the site attempts to save it in html. Either way, the program failed to process this file. I don't know how to get it from the site to my hd in a compatible format that works with world2xplane.

Got it to work for Florida...thanks for your help. I only fly in PA, NJ, and FL...so the state only idea was perfect!!!

Thanks for your replies Tony.  Is there anyway I can disable it in the packaged simheaven scenery or do I have to download the tools?

Ha ha yes, this is the obstacle-lights setting in the config file. It doesn't work too well when skyscrapers are made up of many parts which they are in places like NY. You can disable it and regenerate the area. By default, I'll leave it off in the next version, because it's one of those features that seemed nice at the time, but doesn't work too well :-)

Thanks for your replies Tony.  Is there anyway I can disable it in the packaged simheaven scenery or do I have to download the tools?

Yes, you could try opening the file objects/light.obj from the scenery with a text editor and deleting the two lines

LIGHT_NAMED obs_red_day   0.0000    0.0000000   0.0000
LIGHT_NAMED obs_strobe_night   0.0000    0.0000000   0.0000

Hi Tonywob,

I tried to disable the "obstacle-light" in the config file by setting it to false, but when I regenerated the scenery, the building still had the strobe lights.

I will try the method you described in the post above. thanks again.

I tried to disable the "obstacle-light" in the config file by setting it to false, but when I regenerated the scenery, the building still had the strobe lights.

That's likely a bug, thanks for letting me know, I'll get it fixed in a future update

I can confirm the above method of blanking out the lights in light.obj works.

That's likely a bug, thanks for letting me know, I'll get it fixed in a future update

I can confirm the above method of blanking out the lights in light.obj works.

Hi,

I deleted the two lines in the light.obj file located in W2XP_America. Unfortunately, I still get the flashing strobe type lights on the tall buildings. I am flying out of KPHL and center City Philadelphia look like a Christmas Tree...lol. Could there be something hardcoded in the building files that are used?

Hi,

I deleted the two lines in the light.obj file located in W2XP_America. Unfortunately, I still get the flashing strobe type lights on the tall buildings. I am flying out of KPHL and center City Philadelphia look like a Christmas Tree...lol. Could there be something hardcoded in the building files that are used?

I was sitting on the tarmac in Newark and I didn't see any strobing after I deleted the lines Tony suggested.  I haven't tested other areas at night yet, but it seemed to work.

I was sitting on the tarmac in Newark and I didn't see any strobing after I deleted the lines Tony suggested.  I haven't tested other areas at night yet, but it seemed to work.

Something may be up on my end, then. Because the Newark airport is like a freak show with the lights for me. My light.obj file only has the following...

I

OBJ

POINT_COUNTS 0 0 0 0

Can you confirm what version of world-models you are using? I may have the wrong version...I know I downloaded several of them. Thanks for your input. At least it does work.

Something may be up on my end, then. Because the Newark airport is like a freak show with the lights for me. My light.obj file only has the following...

I

OBJ

POINT_COUNTS 0 0 0 0

Can you confirm what version of world-models you are using? I may have the wrong version...I know I downloaded several of them. Thanks for your input. At least it does work.

Well, seems I may have been fooled by low clouds or something earlier today when I checked.  I just loaded back into Newark and it is again a strobing rave.  My light.obj file has the same thing as you.

I'm using the world models library from the W2XP site.  Maybe Tony can offer some more advice.

http://download.world2xplane.com/world-models-0.7.3.zip

The lights were changed to a single light file in 0.7.3 (but this introduced a new bug). In older versions, the lights were generated as one object per light, and these live in the objects folder inside the generated scenery.  I'd suggest downloading something like Notepad++ and doing a global search and replace across the objects folder for the text 'LIGHT_NAMED' and replace the entire line with nothing. This will strip out all lights from every object.

I'll try and upload a patch for W2XP in the next few days with this issue fixed

I've just uploaded v0.7.4 of World2XPlane which no longer generates the flashing lights, so hopefully this issue is now resolved

I've just uploaded v0.7.4 of World2XPlane which no longer generates the flashing lights, so hopefully this issue is now resolved

Thanks for your attention to this...I will download and try!!!