Sign in to follow this  
Raven9000

Nvidia vs AMD - To new build or not

So I have a pretty decent machine:

i7 4790K

16GB RAM

120 SSD for OS

250GB SSD for sims

Sapphire R9 290 (x 2 in crossfire - yes I know FSX/P3D does not take advantage of it)

So I was pretty happy (games run GREAT in that setup) until I learned about the nuances of FSX with AMD cards....

I have the possibility of maybe upgrading/rebuild another PC I have, so I thought of making an almost equal build but with a GeForce card instead (Thinking of the 970) but then looking at reviews and benchmarks, seeing it doesn't perform as well, and then thinking (maybe wrongly) that most nuances are with DX10, I was wondering:

Is it worth to build this second machine? Does for example switching to P3D, while being a descendant of FSX as it uses DX11 maybe it doesn't have the issues with Radeon? Or do all sims simply hate Radeons and I would be better off just building this new one with a 970?

Also, anyone know what difference (if any) you can find between the 4790K and the newer LGA1151 i7 6700k?

I wouldn't even think of changing that system. Here are the comparisons:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-290-vs-GeForce-GTX-970

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I wouldn't even think of changing that system. Here are the comparisons:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-290-vs-GeForce-GTX-970

Doug

Thanks, I'll check out the links

Just in case though, I'm not thinkingnof changing the system. It's for a second computer I have with older components that I may upgrade and windered if it's worth doing to get a geforce system of similar specs, or if jumpinc to p3d wouldn't have the same annoyances and therefore just keep using the radeon system.

Well, my 2¢ says that if you can afford it, building similar system with an nvidia card and switching to p3d, you will be able to put all that gpu horsepower to work. P3d v3 has shifted much more rendering duties off the cpu and onto the gpu. Personally, I'd put a single 980ti into your current machine and switch to p3d.

Well, my 2¢ says that if you can afford it, building similar system with an nvidia card and switching to p3d, you will be able to put all that gpu horsepower to work. P3d v3 has shifted much more rendering duties off the cpu and onto the gpu. Personally, I'd put a single 980ti into your current machine and switch to p3d.

So P3D also favours nvidia? If so in what way? Is it justperfotmance wise or also things crapping up like dx10 in fsx?

I din't think I will swap the cards, there is not that much performance difference between a 290 and the 980, and I have 2... I blaze through pretty much any game at maxxed out setting at any resolution.