Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Why no such add-on ? World airports and navaids / magdec

I sometimes wonder why there was never a product to update all of the airports included in default FSX/ FSX:SE / P3D, plus navaids Worldwide and magnetice declination.

Of course I am aware of Hervé Sors excellent fereware offer for the magdec, many aitrports can be also downloaded for free, but I mean, a package that would put your data in FSX, for the whole World, up to date, with the new runways, less those closed since FSX database was created, plus all of the World navaids ( stations only... ) and airspaces ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!)  Honestly, nothing beats this one....

There are 2 problems here.

First, is the way this data is stored. It is included inside BGL files with all the other information, left in the same 'sack' as you could say. So you have altogether: airports, navaids, terrain, land class, vector data etc.

Second problem is that, it has a hierarchical structure. BGL files with higher priorities overrides the lower ones.

This is why you can't make another one more 'scenery layer' and put it in the top, because it will, in some cases, override all your other data (terrain, landclass, vector etc). For some regions and some data this could be enough, but not globally.

A company that would be suicidal to do it, would have to recompile all your BGLs, update the values and recompile it back with your other data (from 3rd parties). And you would have to do it all over again once you install some other scenery addon, or anything that changes BGL files.

I can only image how many problems would this cause.

I hope, that LM will separate this data someday, so it would be easily updatable with AIRACs. But this will ruin all the backwards compability... There is just too much work to update this data now.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

This updates only some of the data and it isn't error proof.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Well Lukasz I never had any trouble with it and it's the best we have within the confines of FSX.

Which one do you pick: a glas half empty or a glas half full  :wink:

• Upvote 1

RobdeVries.jpg